Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Another RWB >

Another RWB

Another RWB

Old 07-24-2022, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
As usual you made another fantastic quilt for our veterans. Do QOV quilts ever go to families whose veteran paid the ultimate price?
When I first joined QOV my aunt asked a similar question. Her husband had served during war time, came home lived a full life, before he died at an old age. I also had another Uncle, this first one’s brother, that never made it home.
QOV foundation gives quilts to Veterans who have been ‘touched by war’ to comfort the veteran and as a way to recognize and thank them for their service. So the answer is No about giving to non veterans. I did however ask our coordinator and she said she had heard about an organization that did quilt for widows of veterans. She just didn’t know the name of it. Maybe someone here on the board will know. I do want to express my sympathy to families, like mine and yours, that have lost a loved one to war. They are forever our heroes.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:19 AM

lovely. I like your setting
Old 07-24-2022, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Carolyn Tyndall View Post
I may just have to make this one. I love it. BTW, what does RWB mean in your title?
RWB is red, white and blue
If you make one the size of this one here is how I did it:

Make a 12inch Sawtooth Star. Square up all star blocks, when completed.You can find free patterns for this just about anywhere so Google like my grandchildren tell me-lol

For the snowballs or if you want to call it a square (Star block) in a square ( the triangles)
I cut 9 3/4 inch squares. I then cut them diagonally in half for two pieces, from one corner to the other.
I used 4 different shades of red.

Find and press just your center edge of Star and triangles. Place and sew one color triangle on one side of Star block and a different fabric on the opposite side. You will have a hangover on each end maybe of about 1/2 inch or less. As long as you pin in center and lay flat to pin both ends without stretching.
Now sew the other 2 triangles on remaining sides of stars. These end points should hang over just enough that when you sew, flip and press your finished snowballed Star, your end edges, where you started and ended sewing, are even with the edges of the first two triangles you sewed. I didn’t even square up when I finished because you will end up with a block about 17 1/2 or 17 3/4 inch. I forgot exactly.
Attached Thumbnails 920e83f2-7fe2-4f68-acf8-daf3f6d7beef.jpeg  
Old 07-24-2022, 08:31 AM

To read more about Quilts of Valor go to https://www.qovf.org/

i also just found this. Maybe one of these organizations will help with quilts for widows or parents of a fallen soldier. I haven’t looked at any because like I just searched ‘ quilts given to widows of veterans’. Hope this will help someone.

https://www.goldstarmoms.com/links.html

Last edited by toogie; 07-24-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:02 AM

Another beauty Toogie! I am amazed at your stamina and awed by your dedication.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:37 AM

Another beauty. How about Stars of Valor or Ribbons of Valor?
Old 07-25-2022, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Hi Quilters! Help, I need a name for this one. I saw a picture of a quilt sort of like this online, Pinterest or somewhere. It was one row wider and had blue background blocks on all the corners with 5 point stars applique in white fabric. It also had no border. I needed mine a size of about 60x80. Another row would have put me way over, so I opted for smaller borders. With 3 stars across I also decided it wouldn’t look good with the blue corner blocks and 1 Star block, on top and bottom. So this is my version. I think if I make it again I’ll start with smaller Star blocks. Do you think it set on point? It’s not but I thought so too and wondered how they got the blue square blocks set in. I made a 12 inch Sawtooth Star and snowballed them!-lol It made 17 1/2 blocks set straight. It does look like Star blocks and hourglass or quarter square triangles. Did it fool you? It did me too at first. I just had to figure it out-lol This ended up about 63 x 81. It will of course, go with the others for our men and women veterans. Have a nice weekend- Toogie
I do wish I could edit this original post. I’m sure old timers knew I didn’t ‘snowball’ the Star. I treated the Star as the center of a square in a square block. I had only made 2 queen quilts and a few baby quilts before 2019. It was only after I was asked to join a local QOV group that I really found my love of quilting. I need to learn all the quilting terms or names, so I don’t confuse anybody. Im sorry for the misuse of term here.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful as usual. A veteran will be so proud to get it.