Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: antique quilt

My MIL came over with this old quilt that was in tatters. It had a star pattern that I had not seen done like this before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like it would have been alot of work!
    It looks beautiful though!

It is very beautiful. I love old quilts.

Pam
    That is stunning!! What a creative maker. I do not think that I have ever seen that pattern before. Notice how all of the red is tiny 60 degree diamonds. I believe that this is hand pieced as well as hand quilted.

Very pretty.

Wow! What a wonderful quilt. Neat pattern, sure looks hard. Looks like it's hand-pieced and hand-quilted. What a treasure. If you figure out how to do the pattern, please post.

I like it

Banned
    I love old quilts and stars. :thumbup:

Just love those old scrappy quilts.

I love this pattern!!! Would you care if I used it? It really isn't as hard as it looks, it's a wide strip with a narrow one sewn on, cut to make a 60 degree diamond then another narrow strip added to the side. Each star is made with 8 diamonds, 4 of one center, 4 of another with every other diamond inverted. The narrow strips are the same color on each diamond in the star. I've never seen it before but it sure is pretty. And yes, by looking at the third picture I can tell that it IS hand pieced. What a wonderful find!!!

Very nice!

how wonderful was that find? are you going to have it restored or work on it yourself? if you find out more about the star I would love to know. thanks for the pictures.

Since it is my MIL I will not be doing anything with it. I took pictures so I could do a quilt like it some day. I love finding old quilts with a pattern I have never seen.

I was intrigued with this pattern, having never seen it before. I went looking & I found a number of patterns very similiar but this one is a match, I believe.
    Here is what I found:
    (Moderators, if I am violating copyrite, please remove as that it NOT my intent!)

Information & px is copied from : ( I have re-colored the original to somewhat match yours.)
    Quoting from: Barbara Brackman's Block Base
    "This pattern was published in the 1920 & 1930's by Ruby McKim &
    Kansas City Star. This pattern was known by several names, depending on when it was published.
    Four Birds
    Four Swallows
    Blue Birds
    Dove in the Window
    Dove at the Window

Dove in the Window
    Name:  Attachment-17052.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  22.8 KB

Thank you for the pattern and the names. I wish I knew more about the quilter. My MIL picked it up at a yard sale many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I love this pattern!!! Would you care if I used it? It really isn't as hard as it looks, it's a wide strip with a narrow one sewn on, cut to make a 60 degree diamond then another narrow strip added to the side. Each star is made with 8 diamonds, 4 of one center, 4 of another with every other diamond inverted. The narrow strips are the same color on each diamond in the star. I've never seen it before but it sure is pretty. And yes, by looking at the third picture I can tell that it IS hand pieced. What a wonderful find!!!
    Okay, I was ill and tired last night. 60 degree diamonds will make a 6 point star NOT an 8 as you probably all know and I would have too if I'd been able to think. Sorry.

Oh, its really neat! I've never seen that pattern either!

Pam
    I think that this pattern is beautiful and can definately be made more simply than it was originally using our rotary cutters and 60 degree marks on our rulers and some strip piecing.

So many names for one block in history, and searching out those names, gives totally different looking blocks as well.

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful treasure :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I think that this pattern is beautiful and can definately be made more simply than it was originally using our rotary cutters and 60 degree marks on our rulers and some strip piecing.
    You're thinking like I did, I tried it this morning with a 60 degree diamond ruler and it only makes a 6 point and not nearly as pretty. It takes a 45 degree angle to make an eight point star. :wink: But, the principle is the same, sew a narrow strip onto a wider strip and then cut 45degree diamonds. Then just sew another narrow strip on the other side, trim it, make three more of that color, 4 more of another color and you've got it.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!!! I LOVE old quilts, and I have never seen this star pattern either.

Blog Entries
    Ditto to request that you post the directions if you work them out. Have never seen that pattern.

Pam
    You're thinking like I did, I tried it this morning with a 60 degree diamond ruler and it only makes a 6 point and not nearly as pretty. It takes a 45 degree angle to make an eight point star. :wink: But, the principle is the same, sew a narrow strip onto a wider strip and then cut 45degree diamonds. Then just sew another narrow strip on the other side, trim it, make three more of that color, 4 more of another color and you've got it.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I am going to try it tonight. I will post on here if I can get it to come out well. Just think how many little diamonds were sewn together when a strip would have worked just as well

I had been intrigued with the series of patterns that were published by newspapers during the depression, but found that the Kansas City Star had the most of any newspaper...so it is great to know that this is part of that heritage. Thanks for the research Riley. As a former Texan (if there is such a thing) I 'preciate the answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast