Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique Quilt? >

Antique Quilt?

Antique Quilt?

Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 PM

I would not wash it. The fabrics are already fraying and I think it would distroy the quilt's fabrics.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 PM

What about having the dry cleaners clean it?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM

i also would be afraid to wash it because of its age. Enjoy it....
Old 12-03-2010, 05:11 PM

I have an old quilt. The fabrics in it remind me of yours. My brother gave me the quilt top. I thought it was rather ugly. It was fragile looking, but it had a smell I couldn't tolerate. I washed it by hand in my bath tub and spread it in the grass on a sheet to dry. I showed it to an Amish friend whose mother advised me and then quilted it for me. At her advice, I fused lightweight interfacing on the very thinnest places (fold lines). It was very out of square, and I thought it would need darts taken in it. But this Amish quilter was amazing. She was able to quilt it square. After it was quilted, I thought it was beautiful. I'm sorry I don't have a good photo handy to show. I just spread it out on a bed and snapped a few pictures of it. It is such a scrappy quilt, I believe from worn fabrics, not just left overs. I love looking at all the combinations in the log cabin blocks. Quilting friends have estimated early 1900's for the fabric. I believe yours may be that old.

old log cabin, not spread out well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137706[/ATTACH]

close up of some of the old fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137743[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-137701.jpe   attachment-137738.jpe  
Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 PM

I have an old quilt. The fabrics in it remind me of yours. My brother gave me the quilt top. I thought it was rather ugly. It was fragile looking, but it had a smell I couldn't tolerate. I washed it by hand in my bath tub and spread it in the grass on a sheet to dry. I showed it to an Amish friend whose mother advised me and then quilted it for me. At her advice, I fused lightweight interfacing on the very thinnest places (fold lines). It was very out of square, and I thought it would need darts taken in it. But this Amish quilter was amazing. She was able to quilt it square. After it was quilted, I thought it was beautiful. I'm sorry I don't have a good photo handy to show. I just spread it out on a bed and snapped a few pictures of it. It is such a scrappy quilt, I believe from worn fabrics, not just left overs. I love looking at all the combinations in the log cabin blocks. Quilting friends have estimated early 1900's for the fabric. I believe yours may be that old.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
do you have a local quilt guild? They might know of an appraiser in your area or can direct you to someone with knowledge of antique quilts. I would do nothing to it until I had a professional look at it then I would get it insured depending on value.
I agree, Don't do anything until you know what you have,nice find.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:48 PM

I was going to suggest contacting some of the historical societies in the Virginia area. I know there are several quilt museums (the Virginia Quilt Museum is in Harrisonburg). Williamsburg has a wealth of information on some of these things. The property the quilt was found on can give a clue to the history of the quilt as well. Anyone check county records?

It is a great find. I would check with a reputable conservator before doing much to it just in case.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the others... I wouldn't even try to wash it. It has a lovely aged look, treasure it as it is :D:D:D
Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 PM

You guys are the greatest! Thanks so much for the info. I know a lot more now than I did. My local guild does have a member who's familiar with antique quilts, not an apparaiser, but very knowledgeable. I'm going to have her look at it soon, but my curiosity was killing me!Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM

I hadn't thought of that! I'll check it out, thanks!