Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique quilts in my collection: part 4 (finally) >

Antique quilts in my collection: part 4 (finally)

Antique quilts in my collection: part 4 (finally)

Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by T-Bones mom
Grandmother's flower garden my by my great grandmother. I stopped using this after our cats kept upchucking on it!!

Now mind you I am not making fun of the quilt. I love it and would give my eye teeth for an antique quilt. But that statement sounds like the quilt made the cats sick. I can hardly type this I am still laughing so hard. Thank you for some humor this morning. I needed it.
Thinkin' we all need humor each day. Helps put things in perspective. Two cats, one black and one calico with attitude, we'd go to work, they'd take over the bed. Upchucked at least once a week. Got tired of washing the quilt, so put it away and bought a cheap comforter. Both cats are long gone. DH says "no more cats!"
Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 AM

All beautiful quilts! On the one with the ragged ends, instead of cutting them down I think I would try to sew a long rectangle of backing to each end and then try to like applique the ragged edges down to it in order to stabilize and save those ends.

I really like the bear, too! I have a badly deteriorated quilt that is literally big holes in places, so would like to make a bear from the salvageable parts of it. Did you have a pattern?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks, liked your story. Its amazing what these ladies did to survive and yet they still found time to quilt.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
All beautiful quilts! On the one with the ragged ends, instead of cutting them down I think I would try to sew a long rectangle of backing to each end and then try to like applique the ragged edges down to it in order to stabilize and save those ends.

I really like the bear, too! I have a badly deteriorated quilt that is literally big holes in places, so would like to make a bear from the salvageable parts of it. Did you have a pattern?
Hi Eddie: Good advice about the tattered quilt. Re the bear: The maker already had it stitched up, just hadn't stuffed or finished it. Bear patterns are readily available by the major pattern manufacturers. Just need to select a style you like. I get sewing patterns only on sale, either .99 or 1.99 all the time. If you don't have access, let me know, I'll pick you up one and send it. Penny
Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2
Thanks, liked your story. Its amazing what these ladies did to survive and yet they still found time to quilt.
I agree. Speaks to the human spirit and the joy of creating!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:59 AM

Beautiful quilts, all! I love the bear, too. It's a nice pattern. Thank you for sharing them and the info on them.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Beautiful quilts. Love the GFG quilt. I have fond memories of my brother and I driving our matchbox cars on all the pathways that we called roads.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pgthom
Originally Posted by Eddie

Hi Eddie: Good advice about the tattered quilt. Re the bear: The maker already had it stitched up, just hadn't stuffed or finished it. Bear patterns are readily available by the major pattern manufacturers. Just need to select a style you like. I get sewing patterns only on sale, either .99 or 1.99 all the time. If you don't have access, let me know, I'll pick you up one and send it. Penny
is it possible to get some sorta matching material and just sew another binding over the old tattered one? i would hate to cut off any part.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Such a beautiful jouney this has been, seeing all the pold quilts.I have only one that my gGM and GM made, and I cheridsh it so much. My aunt didfn't give grandchildren the quilts we were to have, said they didn't exist, and then she had an auction years later and they were all sold to strangers. I was lookiing at one that was done in peach colors when a lady walked up to look at them. She bought the peach for $300 and a worn one to use for making bears. She said she collected old quilts. I always wished I had gotten her name, maybe she would hae sold it back to me. The auction was in Bethalto,IL> , the Camden estate sale.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing them with us. The old quilts are beautiful and stitched with so much love. I'm glad they found a home with you. Your quilts is awesome. Great job.