Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Antique Quilts >

Antique Quilts

Antique Quilts

Old 03-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by maryb119
What treasures they are! If you know anything about them, please write it down. You can type the story of teh quilt on the computer and print it on Printed Treasures. Then tear off the paper backing and stitch it to the back of the quilt. The story is never lost.
Hi maryb119 - Thanks for your nice words. I don't know much more about any of these besides what I posted. But what is "Printed Treasures". I've been out of the quilt world for about 20 yrs., so most of the new quilting "toys" are new to me. I see a lot of things mentioned on here that I'm not quite sure what they are.

On most of the quilts I made in the past, I had professional embroidery labels made & sewed to the back of each one. I still don't have a fancy sewing machine that even does that (& @ 77 yrs old, don't think I'll be investing in any of the hi $$$ items - I've done good to learn enough about the computer world to enjoy this) :oops:

Have a blessed evening
Old 03-26-2011, 03:38 PM

Beautiful - Love all 3
Old 03-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by icon17
Originally Posted by Great-great granny
Here are 3 antique quilts I've been fortunate enough to acquire over the years:

#1 - I was told (by a pretty good quilt person) that this was probably from the late 1890's, & the red was what was called "Turkey Red". Was possibly called "Underground RR" - pattern kinda looks like it was intended to be like a "map"??? Not sure if the 'grey' looking fabric was originally green or grey. Anyway got it at a good price & LIKE it -

#2 Is from the mid 1930's I think & is some kind of Tulip pattern.

#3 Is also from the 1930's - it's an applique rose of some kind.

All 3 are in remarkable GOOD shape for their years.

Hope you enjoy - Have a blessed week end.

:lol:
I like the Tulip one can you post a close up pic of that one #2?
Sorry, but I didn't take a close up of it - I will try to get one taken tomorrow when I have better light in the living room
Old 03-26-2011, 03:41 PM

What treasures they are! If you know anything about them, please write it down. You can type the story of teh quilt on the computer and print it on Printed Treasures. Then tear off the paper backing and stitch it to the back of the quilt. The story is never lost.
Hi maryb119 - Thanks for your nice words. I don't know much more about any of these besides what I posted. But what is "Printed Treasures". I've been out of the quilt world for about 20 yrs., so most of the new quilting "toys" are new to me. I see a lot of things mentioned on here that I'm not quite sure what they are.

On most of the quilts I made in the past, I had professional embroidery labels made & sewed to the back of each one. I still don't have a fancy sewing machine that even does that (& @ 77 yrs old, don't think I'll be investing in any of the hi $$$ items - I've done good to learn enough about the computer world to enjoy this) :oops:

Have a blessed evening
Printed Treasure is fabric that has a paper on the back of it. The pieces are cut the size of printer paper. You print the story on the fabric side and tear off the paper. Then you can stitch it on the back of the quilt. I did this with a quilt that I finished for my mother in law. I didn't want the story to be lost. It's sewn on the back and will stay with the quilt. Printed Treasures is available at quilt shops and some Joann's Fabric store. I think Clotilda's carries it too. It is washable and comes in white or ivory.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Have a blessed evening
Printed Treasure is fabric that has a paper on the back of it. The pieces are cut the size of printer paper. You print the story on the fabric side and tear off the paper. Then you can stitch it on the back of the quilt. I did this with a quilt that I finished for my mother in law. I didn't want the story to be lost. It's sewn on the back and will stay with the quilt. Printed Treasures is available at quilt shops and some Joann's Fabric store. I think Clotilda's carries it too. It is washable and comes in white or ivory.
OMG - that sounds WONDERFUL - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TIP. This board is great w/all the new tips I've heard about in just a few days.

QUILTERS ARE AWESOME PEOPLE!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-26-2011, 06:57 PM

I think the first one was originally one of the red/green quilts so popular mid 1800's. After sitting for a while and then being washed, the green turned that gray/green shade. I have a pine tree quilt from 1870 that was originally bright green and is now gray/green. It is more beautiful this way than the original color-in my opinion. All three quilts are wonderful, I'm still hoping to find one of the 30's applique flower quilts that I can afford. :)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by greensleeves
I think the first one was originally one of the red/green quilts so popular mid 1800's. After sitting for a while and then being washed, the green turned that gray/green shade. I have a pine tree quilt from 1870 that was originally bright green and is now gray/green. It is more beautiful this way than the original color-in my opinion. All three quilts are wonderful, I'm still hoping to find one of the 30's applique flower quilts that I can afford. :)
Thanks for such an interesting bit of info - it makes sense. Like you thou, I think the grey looks better than a green would. Maybe this one is actually from earlier than was 1st estimated if the red/green was popular in the mid 1800's. Hope you find your 30's quilt at a reasonable price. I just got lucky about 15 yrs. ago when I found this one.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned

#1 - I was told (by a pretty good quilt person) that this was probably from the late 1890's, & the red was what was called "Turkey Red". Was possibly called "Underground RR" - pattern kinda looks like it was intended to be like a "map"??? Not sure if the 'grey' looking fabric was originally green or grey. Anyway got it at a good price & LIKE it -

Sorry, but I didn't take a close up of it - I will try to get one taken tomorrow when I have better light in the living room

OK, I'll try this one more time - put your pics on the wrong post I had made.

This is for "icon17" who requested close ups of the Tulip quilt - Sorry still figuring out my way around this board & couldn't figure out how to answer directly to you. Couldn't find you on again on the reply to my original post. Tried a PM to you, but doesn't have a place to attache any files (that I saw anyway)

Here are 3
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175978.jpe   attachment-175979.jpe   attachment-175980.jpe  
Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

OK, I'll try this one more time - put your pics on the wrong post I had made.

This is for "icon17" who requested close ups of the Tulip quilt - Sorry still figuring out my way around this board & couldn't figure out how to answer directly to you. Couldn't find you on again on the reply to my original post. Tried a PM to you, but doesn't have a place to attache any files (that I saw anyway)

Here are 3
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175984.jpe   attachment-175985.jpe   attachment-175986.jpe  
Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

They are gorgeous. I am so glad you showed them. Thank you, thank you, thank you.