Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Anyone do hand embroidery? >

Anyone do hand embroidery?

Anyone do hand embroidery?

Old 09-06-2022, 08:50 AM

Default Anyone do hand embroidery?

I got Aunt Martha’s state birds and I’ve started doing them to make a quilt. So far I’ve done Ohio and Illinois, and working on Missouri. I also have a flower one I’m doing separately and I was thinking of putting a border on it to make a small Wallhanging. Had anyone every done that with their hand embroidery?

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
Old 09-06-2022, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

Yours are beautiful! I am making the same set, but doing the whole 50 to make quilt blocks out of them. I lack 4 and seem to have stalled out for a while. I am inspired by a beautiful quilt my sister's Godmother made for her when she was a teenager. It had these blocks and pink gingham. I will use a blue tiny check with mine.

Sure you can make your block into a wall hanging! Or frame it, if you don't want it to get dusty. Good luck with your birds quilt.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:32 AM

I learned how to hand embroider when I was about 5 and I made a doll quilt with it. I loved it and was so very proud of it, but when I got older, after looking at it again, I think my grandma may have "helped me a bit!
Old 09-06-2022, 10:43 AM

Wow, you are doing wonderful work!

I ordered the iron-on package that had the state, flowers, and birds back in 1972. Hand embroidery was my hobby for years. But never found the time to do such a giant undertaking. So a couple years ago I donated it along with all my other iron-ons to someone here. She was connected to a senior center and said they had lots of people with various interests. It felt wonderful someone might use some of my embroidery thread and items. I love hand embroidered items.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I also love the hand embroidery you have done here. I am sure you could figure out a way to add a border to it to your liking to make it larger.
I still hand embroider in front of the t.v. while watching with hubby. I love to make little gifts for my sister and niece. They love them. My sister's favorite kitchen towel set is a micky and minnie doing kitchen chores. I found a vintage set of patterns on ebay.
Recently I started a snowman on wool that is about 15 inches tall for decorating during the holidays. Just finishing it up today. Last week I made myself a pincushion from wool with a jack-o-lantern on it. It sits in a milk glass tiny bowl with a lacy edge you keep your scissors or threads in. Really cute. I liked it so much that I ordered another bowl to make my sis one.
I also have two machines that make embroidery images easy on my jeans and summer tops. Very hippy fun to wear.
I just can't get away from hand embroidery though. I love it.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:21 PM

I've done a couple of flower pieces from the DMC website. My only problem is that other than framing them, I have no idea what to do with them. I really like doing them though. As I get older, I find that I like hand work more and more.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:04 PM

My addiction is Red Work. Have a ton of patterns begging to be started. All three adult kids have Christmas taken care of from stockings to ornaments.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:57 PM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...01-607570.html

I love hand embroidery, although I haven’t done any in a while. This was a dedication gown for my youngest daughters children that I made. My grandmother used to embroider pillowcases for wedding gifts. She also painted all the state flowers on blocks for a quilt. I have it but sadly, it’s in terrible shape. I say if a wall hanging is what you’d like, go for it! You can make anything you want.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:00 AM

Love the floral block, colors are right up my alley! I did notice on your Illinois block that there is part of a stem that was not completed. Top leaf...it looks like the stem goes over the leaf, not under it.
I no longer embroidery for some reason, but I love to cross stitch.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:28 AM

I love hand embroidery and yours are stunning. I have 12 completed red work blocks that I did sitting in lectures and conferences. I have no idea what to do with them.