Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know the pattern for this quilt from the quilt show?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It really catches my eye... even though I'm weary of triangle work. :roll:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think I could create it on EQ6--I just "saw" the block. :lol: But how do you think the triangles are put together? In squares with single triangles added?

It looks to me like the "London Square" pattern:
    http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LondonSquareBlock.html

Good luck!

Is that "Ocean Waves"?

London square looks about right but there may be other ways to cut the fabric and piece it together.

Jois

Banned
    Blog Entries
    no1jan--how did you do that??? :-D

I've been playing on EQ6 and came up with this (I always create somthing that's already there!)-- I wanted to change the size of the block so the measurements don't make my head spin. :roll:

I'm thinking scrappy stash bustin' quilt!! :D :D :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh yes--any suggestions on easy--very easy ways to cut and sew those triangle rows together wuold be welcomed. I was wondering if some HSTs would be quicker?

I believe it is called "northwinds".

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    When you look at the blocks, they look the same to me, but when you put the blocks together London Square has the diamond shape.

I don't have EQ6, I am very new to quilting! Someday I will have it by then they will probably be into the EQ12 or 13! Until then I and green with envy for all of you that have it!
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Right now, I just search the patterns on Quilters Catch. Takes longer. Like writing things out longhand instead of using a computer or typewriter. :)

For cutting I personally like the June Taylor shape cut.

I have 2 and use them all the time: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-37199-1.htm

Good luck and post pictures!

Oh one more thing. London square start out with the diamond in the middle instead of the square, so you would have the adjust that starting with the second row!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    Oh one more thing. London square start out with the diamond in the middle instead of the square, so you would have the adjust that starting with the second row!
    Hmm--what do you mean by that? I being blind to it. :lol: I went with the "there are four triangles facing each fabric in the first row, and three in the second" idea.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That one looks almost the same!! I think the only difference is there are fewer triangles in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    That one looks almost the same!! I think the only difference is there are fewer triangles in that one.
    I finally figured that out!! LOL, took me two looks to see the difference. Learn something new everyday. LOVE Quilters cache, everyone needs to donate to help her keep it going. I strive to put something in every month!

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    You did it right. What I was talking about was the difference between the quilt you have shown above and the pattern for "London Square, page 2". They started out with a triangle pattern in the center instead of a square.

You did it right on your EQ6.

Sorry I quoted the wrong quote. It was the one from barnbum. I have no center vision so it makes it difficult to read correctly.
    Sorry about that.

You could use half square triangle foundation papers for the smaller triangles and then just starch the larger ones before cutting. It would be easy to make without too much worry over stretching the bias that way. Starch or sizing really helps me. Making the small HST's by sewing 2 squares together on the diagonal and then just adding the odd triangles wouldn't be too difficult either and again, starching your fabric first will help.

Here is a link to one that is very similar, just fewer rows of little HST. The one in your picture is beautiful, no wonder it caught your eye.

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...lt-pattern.htm

Blog Entries
    I wouldsplit the block in half, diagonally.

Paper piece the triangle section and then sew on the half square triangle. Repeat the other side, and then sew the 2 halves together.
    I don't like little half square triangles either LOL.

This would easily print out in EQ :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    nursie--that one has MORE triangles. :shock: eek.

amma--I'm not a paper piecer... it's toooo scary. :lol:

I'm thinking I could make a block now and then from scraps...and just add to the pile until there's enough for a quilt.

Try googling "Corn and Beans Quilt"

There is a way of making a "square within a square" and then cutting it into fourths making a group of triangles already sewn together. It's very Wow! Email me if you are interested.

Jois

Karla, great minds must think alike because I saved that picture from your thread to research how to make it myself! :)

To save myself the headache of cutting all those separate triangles, I was thinking about doing all HST and then filling in the remaining area of the big triangle with three squares. But that's going to chop up your pattern on the fabric so I don't know. Cutting and sewing triangles just scares me. :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    We must think alike because I LOVE your sunflower piece for your mom. :-D Pretty amazing we picked the same quilt from the show.

Actually if you count the large triangles, by color, you will find that there are 4 each. So my guess is that they were squares sewn together and then cut as triangles. Have to figure out the placement of them though. Might be a fun challenge to figure out.

I always loved puzzles as a kid. I think I have more fun trying to decontruct/reconstruct quilts than I actually do making them.

Blog Entries
    I think it came from one of the recent quilting magazines....I just don't remember which one, but I recognize the pattern. Don't know the name either. Sorry, I don't have time to look for it right now, but if you remind me in a week I'll try to find it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast