Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
An art quilt >

An art quilt

An art quilt

Old 04-05-2023, 04:57 PM

Oh Pet, that is gorgeous!!
Old 04-06-2023, 04:09 AM

Just lovely but can't imagine how difficult doing the layout was. Did you sketch it on graph paper first? Beautiful colors too.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:22 PM

I had a picture with elements I liked. I decided on the colors first. Went through stash to pull what I had in those colors. On a design wall, I layed out 4 patches (the smallest elements). Each time I added an element to the wall, the idea evolved and morphed. I make decisions as I developed the design. At some point, more pieces fell off the wall than I was putting up, so I started sewing. Sharing photos with artist friends was very encouraging to continue my effort.

Running out of some fabrics, I added new ones and tried to encorporate them into the whole quilt, not just a small part. This moved some areas into others. Stepping back, I realized, I’d lost the smallest 4 patches and needed to add another color combination of it.

Give and take, it moved forward, until I said, “self, just do it.” Stitch it together. At this point is sheer discipline to keep stitching.

It’s still on the design wall. Soon it’ll be in the way of my using the wall for another inspiration. So I really need to decide on quilting. I’ve been practicing freemotion expressive feathers. I’ve tried very controlled and precise feathers. Nope. Not in me. But practicing them on charity quilts has made some progress in my skills.

I’ll post as I’m inspired.

Currently I’m making pot holders from scraps. My mind needs a break. And the studio needs cleaning of pieces.

Last edited by petthefabric; 04-08-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:36 AM

Petthefabric -- beautiful!!!!
Old 04-11-2023, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

What a beauty! You did a great job.