Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
BABY BUGGY QUILT-My 1st Free Motion Quilt >

BABY BUGGY QUILT-My 1st Free Motion Quilt

BABY BUGGY QUILT-My 1st Free Motion Quilt

Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM

LOVE it
Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 PM

I LOVE YOUR QUILT!!!!!! The freehand quilting is amazing.

Sure sets off your beautiful quilt. Could you tell me your secret. I'd love your pattern for the quilt but I reeeeaaaly
want to know how to do the quilting. I keep trying but none of my quilts have turned out a quarter as good as yours.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 PM

Darling quilt. Your quilting is wonderful.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Thank you ..I wish I knew how to do a tute so I could show you.......I started out with small scrap sandwich pieces and could NOT get the hang of it to save my life....then i saw where a quilter posted on the main board to practice with a piece of paper and a pencil...It only took me one time with that and it clicked........take a piece of paper, and pencil off the space as if it were a fabric square,,,then start at the top and draw a "skinny, stretched" S from the top Right edge coming down to the Bottom Left edge DO NOT LET THE PENCIL LEAVE THE PAPER......then on Right side bottom of "S" start a Paisley design ( or a loop that gets bigger as it leaves the "s" and then loop back on top and get skinnie as it gets closser to "S' ,and continue up the S with different sizes of Paisleys,,,,when you get to the top,,,,KEEP THE PENCIL ON THE PAPER and come down the opposite side with paislies ....this will give you the "feel" of where you want your needle to stitch....and DON'T worry about touching the "S"...by not going all the way to it ,,,you don't have to worry about crossing or touching other stitching... after you pratice on paper ,,,go for the fabric !!! you can do it...It will click....after you get the hang of that ,,,other designs will come to you easier.....you can make that "S" to fit ANY size square or rectangle you are making.....I did it on the 2 1/2 inch border of that quilt too...I am so excited that I can't wait to do another one....I've got to get busy and make quilts so I can FM them...Thanks again and I hope I helped...u can PM me if you want to....KAY....btw...You can do any amount os "s" you want to at any size in the same sq.....what ever it takes to FILL the space...
Originally Posted by piccupstix
I LOVE YOUR QUILT!!!!!! The freehand quilting is amazing.

Sure sets off your beautiful quilt. Could you tell me your secret. I'd love your pattern for the quilt but I reeeeaaaly
want to know how to do the quilting. I keep trying but none of my quilts have turned out a quarter as good as yours.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:50 PM

What a cute quilt! Quilting is awesome!!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 PM

Very cute! Love them.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Great work!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Great work!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 PM

THANK YOU for the advice, you Virginia belle! I copied what you said so I can have it beside me when I practice. And I will practice.

I have been making baby quilts for the Newborns In Need group I belong to and it is so boring to staight stitch quilt that probably the last 15 or so I've tried to master the freehand. It doesn't matter that I wasn't good I was trying and the underlying quilts were good.

Now I'm pumped to sew, but alas I'll be babysitting the grandchildren the next couple days (though I love that too).
Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 PM

So cute! I love the yoyo's for wheels.