Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Baby quilt for co-worker >

Baby quilt for co-worker

Baby quilt for co-worker

Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM

What a treasure you created for them! Great job! I'm sure she will charise the quilt from you and her baby's grandmother.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
Some of you may remember I was given over 100 yds of fabric on my birthday last September. The fabric came from the stash of a co-worker's mother-in-law, after her death. At the time, I told myself, well, if she (my coworker) ever starts a family, I'll have to make her a quilt! Sure enough, she announced at Christmas time that she is pregnant.
The stash had absolutely zero children's fabrics; but I did my best to use her MIL's fabrics. I found this pattern in a quilt magazine from a few years back. It was designed as a Project Linus pattern. Of all the fabrics in the quilt, only three are my own. All the rest are from MIL's stash. I presented the quilt to my coworker recently, and was surprised to hear she is planning safari animals in the nursery; and she loves the color grey. The main fabric here is covered with elephants, giraffes and zebras, so I guess I did alright pulling that one from my stash. I chose the grey backing from MIL's stash because it goes with the elephants, and I saw no use for it in my future. Several nice coincidences in this project!
The family is especially touched that the quilt is not just from me, but also Grandma.

Hmmm - sounds like you and Grandma did an excellent job pulling fabrics for this baby quilt. There are indeed angels among us!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 AM

How precious! Coincidence, maybe not.
God bless!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
lovely...I'm quite sure that the MIL is smiling down on you...
That's a nice thought!
Thank you all so much for your nice comments!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM

What a great quilt, and i'm so glad it turned out to have "bonus" features to it, having just the right fabrics for your co-worker. And I like the quilting on it that sort of gives neat shaping to the half-log cabins, almost making them look like they are draped over a line. Very cool!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 AM

A postscript....my co-worker's husband was very pleased with the quilt, and was able to pick out every one of his mother's fabrics! The family cat approves, also....every time they open the nursery door, the cat walks in and heads straight for the quilt!

Last edited by jdavis; 02-13-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling/typo