Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bad Mistake I can't fix now. >

Bad Mistake I can't fix now.

Bad Mistake I can't fix now.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Personally I would leave it, that is just me. So it's different, the baby will love it!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 AM

Follow Bonnie Hunter's advice in this quote from her page:[ATTACH=CONFIG]553538[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails plot-twist.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM

Default Yep

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Let her think you did it on purpose, because even though the twins will be identical in many ways, they will each have unique characteristics that will set them apart from each other.
Perfect response.

Now they can't fight over the quilts. they will know for sure who's is who's. I just think you are a saint for doing it!!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:28 PM

When I first started quilting, all the other quilters I met said that to prove your quilt was not factory made, you had to put at least one piece in turned the wrong way. So, you've proven you made it.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 PM

If it bothers you (as I think it would bother me), couldn't you remove †he two offending squares as a rectangular unit and turn them right way around, then hand stitch them back in and quilt over it. I don't think it would show at all. They are lovely.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:57 PM

I agree with Mom. It's fine as is.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 PM
QM
Power Poster

We all make mistakes. I think the thing to do is laugh about it and go on. I am certain it will be loved.

A friend made a lovely quilt with a variety of trees. When she had it quilted, she realized that one tree was on its side. She drew in a stump, axe and feet sticking out from under the tree, calling it Where is my Husband? It was a hit at our quilt show.

Perhaps you should name the quilt Star Opening.

Last edited by QM; 07-07-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I am curious - people say the Amish make a mistake on purpose because no human is perfect. I would think that would then be intentional and no longer a mistake. It may alter the design but an intentional alteration all the same. Oh well.

Anyway, if you make these quilts intending for them to be used and abused, I would not change it. But if you are making them to be gently used and saved for future generations, then I would make the change.
You are correct, quiltingcandy. Ask the Amish. They say they make enough mistakes, and don't need to make any on purpose.

As as for this quilt, I guess I would change it if I could. This is why we need to always "step back and admire your work". I like to hang mine on a living room wall as soon as pieces are finished so that I can see them each time I walk through there. I find a lot of things that need changing that way.

The quilts are beautiful.

Some twin friends of mine wore their "twin" clothes when they were over ninety and enjoyed showing off that they were twins.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Why would it grind you? They are saying exactly what you are... They turn one block wrong or use a miss-matched colors in a block, to honor God as the only perfect being. It is to remind them that neither themselves nor their quilts are perfect.
Because it seems they are saying they could not make a mistake so they have to "intentionally" do something not right so as to not "show up" God. At least that is what I get from it - I guess I think too much. I'm all for honoring God but that is just a little too condescending for me. I doubt the Amish actually do it anyway
Old 07-08-2016, 04:44 AM

I would leave it. A non quilter will never notice it and a quilter, if she notices, will say, that's too bad, the same thing has happened to me before. It will still serve the purpose and 20 years from now if anyone is looking that person will say, how neat that the maker made such a unique design. Life is too short to stress that much over fabric. I'm done beating myself up over things that will not alter my life, nor the life of others, in the grand scheme of things. And both of your quilts are beautiful.