Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bauhaus Quilt Picture and Plans

Bauhaus Quilt Picture and Plans

Here are the plans for my newest quilt, and I'm finding it quite a challenge. What range of colours could you see for this quilt?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Laura in Montreal; 05-25-2012 at 04:43 PM.

I just noticed that the plan next to the original picture is small enough to be missed. Click on it for a line drawing of the quilt. Laura

I see YUMMY neutrals & can't wait to see what you do with these! I think working in this palette would be so trick & I so admire artists who can. Please let us know what you'll be doing with this... the title intrigues me... Bauhaus...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I like the variety of the neutrals and think it will make a great quilt. Hope you're able to find all the fabrics to suit your design. Please share the completed project with us.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

Blog Entries
    This is very unusual. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. But, I like it!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I see YUMMY neutrals & can't wait to see what you do with these! I think working in this palette would be so trick & I so admire artists who can. Please let us know what you'll be doing with this... the title intrigues me... Bauhaus...
    The design is by Gunta Stolzl for fabric in Jacquard technique (1927 17.3x34.5 cm Bauhaus-Archiv Berlin). She was an artist who worked out of the Bauhaus School of Design. Most of her designs were for rugs, but this one looked as if it could be worked as a quilt. I found it here: http://pinterest.com/pin/230809549622889693/ I'm thinking sandy colours, a bit of pale orange, some deep blue for small darker areas.... I struggle so much with colour!!! Thanks for the suggestion for neutrals. I'll post what I can as it progresses. Laura

I'm loving the neutrals.

I like the colors that see ... range of greys and beige to brown. Might throw in a navy blue perhaps.

Lovely design.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I would love it in oranges, browns and turquoise!
    Waves of color give my quilts their splash!

Blog Entries
    love the colors you show

Power Poster
    You might find something in a Ombre (sp) fabric line that would do for quite a few of the pieces. That is the fabric that shades from dark to light across the yardage. For the lined pieces, I would Zentangle or use fabric paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    You might find something in a Ombre (sp) fabric line that would do for quite a few of the pieces. That is the fabric that shades from dark to light across the yardage. For the lined pieces, I would Zentangle or use fabric paint?
    Thanks, Tartan, but what is "Zentangle"? I've heard of it as a doodling technique, but I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you explain it for me? In the line drawing (small plan posted next to the original photo), I've cut out the central zig-zag bits altogether because I didn't know how to handle them. Maybe your suggestion is the solution! I've got some "Stonhenge" fabrics in my stash and was thinking of using them... Thanks.

I would it would be great in the neutrals with the different geometric designs. According to when and what is involved for this pattern, would be pretty in any color range with all shades of the color and designs. Sandy 64

I have in my head - blendy hand-dyed fabrics.
    Colors of slate and stone. Natural colors.

Blog Entries
    I was picking thru the line design for ways to put this togther without the dreaded "y" seam and I didn't see too many obstructions. Maybe a few partial seams will be needed - as long as you are willing to split up some blocks into sub units. Good luck! Can't wait to see it!

Blog Entries
    and yes to the Stonehenge fabrics!

My first thoughts were Wow, Awesome.

I see it in blue beige and browns.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Power Poster
    Zentangles are basically doodling on fabric with thread. They can be any shape or pattern that fills in the surface of a fabric piece. Some people draw them out first and others just FMQ their designs. If you Google it I bet you will find many pictures of some fantastic designs. Some people frame their Zentangles and some incorporate them into different things like quilt, pillows etc.

I too like the idea of calm, neutral colors in this quilt. It almost looks like it was meant for neutrals.

I love the neutrals. The ones you show look great. Go for it.

Just lovely, thank you for sharing and can't wait to see it finished. Have a Blessed day Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Zentangles are basically doodling on fabric with thread. They can be any shape or pattern that fills in the surface of a fabric piece. Some people draw them out first and others just FMQ their designs. If you Google it I bet you will find many pictures of some fantastic designs. Some people frame their Zentangles and some incorporate them into different things like quilt, pillows etc.
    Thanks, Tartan. I finished the 1" stripes for the middle section tonight, and will figure out how to put it all together later. I don't seem to be following my pattern, so we'll see what happens.... I think your "Zentangles" are basically embroidery, aren't they? I wish I were better at that... I should try it, shouldn't I?

Laura

Any monochromatic color scheme would be striking, maybe using batiks because of their intense colors. I think you would have to be careful not to get too crazy with the pattern and color choices of fabric because it would be easy to confuse the eye with so much going on with the piecing. I would love to see your completed quilt, and think this would be a fun challenge to make.

Wow, quite an amazing design. Love your colors now.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast