Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: blue jean rag quilt

so i took a break from baby quilts. i had a big old box of blue jeans from when my 16 yr old grandson was about 6 up until the last time i cleaned out my closet. so i used grandkids, mine, grandpa's, and great grandpa's and scraps from several flannel rags for the back. no pattern at all, just cut blocks of denim sewed into rows. then i added some pockets. boy, denim is heavy!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's adorable! Who is it for?

M

thanks miss, i think i will just hold on to it for awhile. i usually have a couple of grandkids spend the night at least once a week, they really drag around the bed clothes. so i need something pretty durable. this should do the trick.

I should hope to shout! Denim is tough, if nothing else!!!

M

That is really cool! I like how the flannel looks coming thru on the top where you fringed the edges! Very nice!

Blog Entries
    That's gonna keep someone warm! Really nice, I like!

Blog Entries
    The grandkids are going to LOVE it!! They're going to know for sure they have the coolest grandma in the land. :wink: Good thing it's big enough for several to get under. :D

I have a PILE of jeans saved for this project too. I was thinking about just making the ragged denim top with no back because of the weight and thickness... what do you think, nana, would that work? Or do you think the flannel back is best?

Did you break many needles?

To Barnbum...

It would work not to put the flannel backing on, however denim is kind of rough, and the flannel backing makes it nice and soft against your skin. The flannel also adds to the beauty of the "raggy" seams. Just a thought. :-)

skacian and barn, you're right skacian, the quilt really benifits from the flannel backing.

nel

Flannel adds softness. I made one similar to the picture. Wish I had made my squares wide enough to sew on all the pockets I have from cutting up the old jeans!

Nanabird: Have you been in my scrap stash? I see lots of fabric in your jean quilt that I own...I was also just given a bunch of old jeans so now I'll get busy and do a quilt kinda, sorta like yours. You've inspired me. Thank you.

you're welcome feathers, it was a lot of fun.

hey barn, i only broke one needle. it was on one of the pocket seams. very tough.

I like it! I bet it is heavy.

yes live2teach, it is very heavy. the flannel back sure makes it snuggly warm. :wink:

I love your quilt and the pockets make it even more cute! My younger daughter and I are going to make my older daughter one for when she goes off to college. She doesn't know it and we are going to surprise her.

Vanessa

I made a king size denim rag quilt with pockets, boy was it heavy. That was my first ever quilt. It was pretty easy too!

Sondra

when using the blue jeans, do you use the stretch demin with it also or not at all? i have some of both jeans. i don't want to waste time cutting the stretch if it isn't fesiable to use it.

jeanette

My grandkids would love this one, especially if surprises were tucked into the pockets!

Quilterj, I've never used the stretch denim, I've only used old jeans.
    Sorry I don't know about the stretchy denim. :lol:

quilterj, i used every kind and weight of denim i had. and yes some was the stretchy kind. i think pretty much anything goes.

QuilterJ:
    I really like your jean quilt. I have several bags of old jeans to make a few more of these quilts. Years ago I made jean quilts for everyone of my friends to put in the car trunk to use if they had to change a tire or if there was an impromptu picnic or ??? They are wonderful, durable, HEAVY and wash beautifully. Thank you for reminding me to make somemore but this time I'll make them raggedy like yours. The o nes I made way back when weren't raggedy. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers
    QuilterJ:
    I really like your jean quilt. I have several bags of old jeans to make a few more of these quilts. Years ago I made jean quilts for everyone of my friends to put in the car trunk to use if they had to change a tire or if there was an impromptu picnic or ??? They are wonderful, durable, HEAVY and wash beautifully. Thank you for reminding me to make somemore but this time I'll make them raggedy like yours. The o nes I made way back when weren't raggedy. Thanks for sharing.

feathers this isn't my quilt.

quilterj

QuilterJ:
    :oops: Hey! What can I say? I have SENIOR MOMENTS more frequently than I care to admit.

NANABIRDMO....I'm sorry, I know you made the jean quilt just told QuilterJ how much I liked it. I'm crotchety and can't keep names straight even when they are written and right in front of my nose! :oops:

nanabirdmo, one question. how do you join the rows together on these quilts. I have 6 1/2 inch blocks cut out and haven't joined them because I don't know how they go together. It occurs to me that when you join the rows you might have problems going over the seams..

Linda

hey feathers, not to worry. i'm just glad you liked my quilt. it is fun to get feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast