Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bookmark for my Dad >

Bookmark for my Dad

Bookmark for my Dad

Old 06-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks for that Rhonda - it helped A LOT! :D

I guess no matter how old we get, we're still their kids. And of course I AM glad to have him - miserable old bugger that he is! I'm an only child so I get everything, good and bad! Thanks again - I've been piecing my mini K with the squashes and pumpkins - nothing more soothing than sewing! :D
I am an only child too! That is part of my problem with my mom! She only has me to concentrate on! And I never feel like I measure up!
Now if she only had another child to pester!!!!!
She does call my daughter and complain to her when she is upset with me!!!!
My dad used to introduce me to people as his oldest and his youngest and all 10 inbetween!! And he introduced my DH as the thing his brat drug home!! (just joking!)
I think about him and my memories all the time. He would buy me a present on Mother's day because he would say without me Mom wouldn't be a mother!
Yeah I was spoiled. He never told me no! He told mom to do it so I wouldn't be mad at him!
Nice to think of all the good things about him on Father's Day. He was always there for me.
I 'm sure you have had good times with your dad too.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks Rhonda - I'm sure you're right, I'll be happy when I next go round there if it's stuck in his book! You'd think after 44 years I would have learned not to be so sensitive to it! Hans saw I was a bit quiet and said 'it's four hours work, you know, Colin' (I don't think it DID take me that long :lol: !) But he still didn't say anything - just left it lying on the table where he'd dropped it. He barely glanced at the back where I'd hand embroidered 'Happy Father's Day' and my name and the date. Yeah, I'm upset - I'm an idiot - must be hormonal! :D
No you're not an idiot! I am 53 and still find myself trying to get my mother's approval. I showed her a primitive cabinet I just bought and how I had arranged it unconsciously waiting for approval and all she said was oh so you decided to put it there instead of in the bathroom huh? When I go in her house I'm expected to "gush" over every arrangement she has moved but getting a good comment from her is just not something to be expected! Yes it does hurt. We have talked about it at length and we are just never on the same wave length! She is an A personality (everything has to be perfectly arranged at all times!)and I am a slob(I'm a quilter after all! housework doesn't exist!) Oh well! I can deal with it most of the time but it still zings at times! Seems like she is always critical of me.
Cheer up he will use it! You'll see! If it is laying handy he will grab it when he needs something to mark his page! I'm sure he loves you!
My dad has been gone since Dec 1990( he was only 60) and he and I were two sides of a coin. I miss him each and every day. So glad you still have your dad! I know it would be nice to hear some approval but I'm sure he shows it in other ways!
I lost my parents when I was 20 - both with 4 months. I am 64 now and think of them often. Be glad you have parents to give gifts to, and even if they don't show it they are appreciative.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Yes I know it Pam - I was just in a mood yesterday! I'm very lucky to have both my parents and will continue to make things for them both. I have a lot of good memories of my Dad growing up. He taught me to fish, we even built a boat together in the basement when we lived in Canada. Then we had to take the staircase out to get it up the stairs! I love them both dearly and that's why they can hurt - like familes the world over I guess. I was just having a 'vent'! And when I call him a 'miserable old bugger' it's meant affectionately!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'm a dad and I want one! :)
Hey Eddie, I'm tempted to say "Why can't you make it yourself?" But I won't say that. I'll say instead, "Oh, I hope someone takes the hint and makes one for you." :lol:
Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks for bumping this Gail I have a postscript to add -my Dad phoned yesterday to say sorry he'd not been appreciative when I gave him the bookmark and he really loved it and thanks for making it! Plus I had the impression that it was off his own bat and not because Mum had told him too!!! So he's not such a BAD Dad! LOL Of course to me, he's the best Dad in the world!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 AM

I like it.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 AM

PERFECT I love the addition too.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

K -I am so glad your dad came through for you. It really means alot when a parent who doesn't praise very often does express an appreciation. Sounds like Dad was more aware of your feelings than he let on.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Yes- he's not such a bad old stick as they say in Yorkshire!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 AM

awwww, I'm so glad he said that!
Hugs are in order now. LOL
Dusty