Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Border Advice - D9P All Shook Up >

Border Advice - D9P All Shook Up

Border Advice - D9P All Shook Up

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 AM

I like it with both borders. I think the piano border adds a lot
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I like the border you have on it, maybe bind with more of the deep purple? :D:D:D
I agree with Amma, I like the narrow dark purple narrow border to stop the action of the quilt blocks, and I like the narrow 'piano key' border you have going 6 inches of the darker purple color, it will be striking and make a nice size quilt! Beautiful quilt!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 AM

LOVE your quilt! I usually like piano keys, but here I find it distracts from the beautiful quilt. How about finishing with the dark purple then a border of one of the softer colors in the quilt?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
Finished sewing all my blocks together yesterday and headed for the LQS. Found a beautiful batik for the border. Several customers jumped in with opinions and this fabric won! I am building a 2nd border with blocks of the original fabric, but not sure I want to use it. There are also a couple of more additional fabrics at the LQS that I could use to make a 2nd solid border. DH likes it just as it is - finish off and bind it without a 2nd row. What do you all think?
It's only my opinion, but I think the border is way too dark.
The quilt itself is very soft, and I think a teal, or a much lighter purple would be better. You want the quilt itself to pop, and to me all you see is the border. Also, along those
same lines, I would find a fabric, and use it to bind the quilt, with no borders. That would really pull out the quilt itself.
If you do use a border, I would not put the piano keys of the
scraps with it, just make the border and bind it. Again, my opinion :).
Marcia
Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 AM

I like the effect you have in your last picture. I love the dramatic effect the deep purple has. I would have the inner puple border (as it is) and the pieced border and after that a larger purple border and bind with the same purple border? Whatever you choose, it will be a great looking quilt!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM

I would use that second border but I would use your colors that read as medium and dark in the quilt .When you use a very almost white at the edge it almost creates a hole but medium to dark really works and brings the colors from the center out .I long time quilter told me this and I have used this often.It is a great quilt.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I like the border you have on it, maybe bind with more of the deep purple? :D:D:D
I agree. It is beautiful!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM

I love batiks! I love purple too, and I think the pieced border you have added is great! I would like to see a med-darkish blue inner border instead of the purple though, just as a preview. The purple, which I love, might be just the tiniest bit dark for the mostly pastel body of the quilt. So send it to me K
Old 02-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I'm not wild about the pieced border for this quilt. The quilt itself is gorgeous as is. I like the idea of plain borders too.
You did a wonderful job!!!!!!!!! :D:D
Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM

I love the quilt and if it were mine I would do a softer inner border. I think the deep purple is too strong. Then I would do a thin piano key border and then maybe repeat the inner border but wider maybe 6". When I ask for opinions I go back and look at the other board members pictures of their quilts and then I form my decision based on what their work looks like to me. If I love their work then their opinions matter greatly to me. Otherwise not so much. What pattern did you use I just love how the batiks are showcased! Beautiful!