Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BURGOYNE, NAVY AND WHITE, Going in the Frame

I have wondered how this would work. You have done a great job in a show and tell. Thank you. As I live in a 5th wheel and travel full time, I won't be trying this. But love seeing how it works.

Where did you find the pattern - I have been looking for the pattern and I cannot find one.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyM
    Where did you find the pattern - I have been looking for the pattern and I cannot find one.

Suzy, Do you mean the quilt pattern? Or did you mean the frame?
    Here is the link to my making it. The name of the book is n there somewhere. If you don't find it, let me know and I will look here at home. I am moving my sewing room and everything is in boxes, but I will find it for you.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25353-1.htm.

Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    Ninnie, can I come over and watch you hand quilt? That is going to be gorgeous!!! How long will it take you? It will take me a couple of days to get there!!!!

Please come on!! We can sit 4 at the frame, so the more the better! I can use all the help I can get quilting it. :-D :-D And I will still be sitting here quilting in 2 days, so no problem there :lol:

I am thinking 2 months, but could be longer with having to stop and work on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by mimisharon
    Oh, my gosh, it's wonderful. Love your stencils.

Hugs

You know you are close enough to drive over and help me Sharon!!

And I love stencils, can't say no to one when I find it.

Here is the pattern I have settled on for the border. I have the middle one done, and will now measure out to the edge from the center, and decide where to place the others. Not really happy with my stitches, but not taking them out :roll: I will get better as I get into the rhythm of sewing, I hope :lol: :lol:

Hand Quilting on border
    Name:  Attachment-35547.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  75.2 KB

Hand Quilting on border
    Name:  Attachment-35548.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  68.3 KB

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Now why on earth would you NOT be happy with those stitches? I'D be THRILLED if mine looked like that! :-D

Love that stencil. What did you use to mark it? Ninnie, your stitches are waaaaaay good enough for me just as they are, and you know that they will only get better as the work progresses. I'm curious about starting on a border...is there a something about that decision that you can share with me/us? This is so inspiring...I think I'm catchin' a bug...maybe the hqn3pf bug? I may have to clear some room to assemble that frame I've had for a couple of years! Carry on...we're lovin' this!

Hi Ninnie I am a Ninnie too! Anyway How much do you charge to do a quilt like that or smaller with the large heart stencil or the large twist??

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
    Love that stencil. What did you use to mark it? Ninnie, your stitches are waaaaaay good enough for me just as they are, and you know that they will only get better as the work progresses. I'm curious about starting on a border...is there a something about that decision that you can share with me/us? This is so inspiring...I think I'm catchin' a bug...maybe the hqn3pf bug? I may have to clear some room to assemble that frame I've had for a couple of years! Carry on...we're lovin' this!

When quilting in a frame, you always start on the end. and then as I go along, I will roll it towards me to the next area I want to quilt. It sorta goes in rows lol. That's why I always mark the centers on the borders, so i will know I am centering the patterns.

I use a Fons and Porter Mechanical pencil. It comes with white lead , and marks just great on the Navy. I will post a picture of the next one, before i quilt it.
    here is a picture of the pencil

MARKING PENCIL
    Name:  Attachment-35567.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  54.8 KB

Thanks so much, Ninnie, for posting a progression of getting a quilt ready to stitch.

Wow!---what a lot of work.

Your stitches are beautiful---don't think I would ever have the patience to hand quilt something this size. I have great respect for anyone who does!

Okay...that's one of the parts that I slept through...I didn't know that the quilting started at the end when done in this type of frame...I'm really going to learn alot here, Ninnie, and I'll be forever grateful...I promise. I love that marker...it has such a smooth lead...marks easily..I haven't had to remove it yet, have you? Wonder how that is going to work out? Will you wait and wash the quilt when it is all done? I need to let you get some stitchin' done...sorry to be such a pest...

Wow, good job. I was wondering do you use the chair that was sitting next to the frame? I noticed it has arms. I found I had to take the arms off my chair, when I use my floor frame. Do they get in your way?

Also what type of floor frame, is it a Gracie or Hinterberg? I have a frame that my husband made years ago, I still have to baste, it only has two poles and no gears. But since I don't make many bed size quilts I have not thought about getting another frame until I saw how easy it was to use yours. Mine is about 30 years old. Since I normally make something smaller, I use my PVC frame or a large hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
    Okay...that's one of the parts that I slept through...I didn't know that the quilting started at the end when done in this type of frame...I'm really going to learn alot here, Ninnie, and I'll be forever grateful...I promise. I love that marker...it has such a smooth lead...marks easily..I haven't had to remove it yet, have you? Wonder how that is going to work out? Will you wait and wash the quilt when it is all done? I need to let you get some stitchin' done...sorry to be such a pest...
    You are not being a pest! I have learned so much from all of the members on this board, it is nice to be able to give something back. :-D Most of the markings will be gone, by the time I finish, but I will wash it as soon as I get the binder on. That's what i love about this pencil. When using the dark lead, i alwyas try to mark as light as I can though.

So hear are the next steps. Once the middle pattern is quilted, I then measure from the edge of it, to the end of the quilt. It is 36 in to the edge, so I know the area i have to work with. then I measure the pattern. It is 11 inches long. So, that will take up 33 in. then I decide to leave 1 inch between each pattern, and that should work, leaving plenty or room at the edge for the binder to go on, and not loose any of the pattern.
    Also, I tape my stencil down, making sure that it will not slip, and I also make sure it is in far enough from the edge that the pattern is not in the seam allowance. Each stencil will have a little hole in the end of it. For hanging I suppose, but I always mark it also, as a starting point if I have to go back and remark a line.

Stencil taped down
    Name:  Attachment-35697.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  57.4 KB

Marked stencil
    Name:  Attachment-35698.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  70.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Wow, good job. I was wondering do you use the chair that was sitting next to the frame? I noticed it has arms. I found I had to take the arms off my chair, when I use my floor frame. Do they get in your way?

Also what type of floor frame, is it a Gracie or Hinterberg? I have a frame that my husband made years ago, I still have to baste, it only has two poles and no gears. But since I don't make many bed size quilts I have not thought about getting another frame until I saw how easy it was to use yours. Mine is about 30 years old. Since I normally make something smaller, I use my PVC frame or a large hoop.

It is a Hinterberg Frame. I have had it about 11 years now. And It is called the Cadaliac :lol: :lol: Don't know why. Easy to assemble, and has longer poles that I canuse if I want to do a King, which I have done.

You are right about the chair, I cannot quilt in a chair with arms.
    Here is the one I use. It has wheels on it, and I can roll around wherever I need to go. And all family members know NEVER! to sit in my quilting chair :lol: :lol:

QUILTING CHAIR
    Name:  Attachment-35699.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  68.2 KB

IMPRESSIVE!
    Even I am tempted to join you .
    What a great teacher and encourager you are!

Thanks so much for this lesson! I hand quilt and I love doing it, but I only have a lap hoop and a hoop on a stand. I don't really have the room for a large frame, someday, I hope. How long did the process of setting it all up, take? Did you do it all by yourself? Are you serious about it taking about 2 months to quilt? I've been working over a year on a twin size (I have done two other tops in that time, and some other embroidery projects), but I can't imagine doing it that fast!!! How many hours a day do you quilt?

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! Thank you for the great pictures and tutorial :D:D:D
    I have a much better understanding of how you get the quilt onto the frame!!! You have picked a beautiful quilting pattern and it looks gorgeous on your quilt :D:D:D

I can't wait to watch as you progress on this quilt :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    IMPRESSIVE!
    Even I am tempted to join you .
    What a great teacher and encourager you are!
    Oh, Omak, I sooooo agree with you...and you are another of the great teachers and encouragers.
    Ninnie, you have, of course, earned all these compliments! Are you okay with all the bad weather that they're calling for around your area? Have you ever hq'd by candlelight...or oil lamp?...Not an age slam....I'm a mawmaw too...just wondering if you're as addicted as some of the hq-ers I know...LOL

Now I have the first border over half quilted. Here is the pattern I have made up for the corners. first, drawn in, and then half quilted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW!! do you combine the stencils to create a new design? you are an amazing woman!

when you pin along the edges, do the pins pull the fabric out of line? and cause dips between the pins? sometimes that happens on the quilting machine where i pin top and bottom. i end up using 1,000 pins to overcompensate.

kpc
    Ninnie, I have the same frame, but nowhere to put it right now it's hanging in the garage :cry:.I have been making some tops to hand quilt when I talk the boys into getting rid of the pool table :roll:

Ninnie, I'm picking my chin up off the floor as I awe over you hand work. My Grandmother just did SID & a few other simple patterns, but you've gone outside the box my friend. Just love the Navy/white combo. It will take time, but you have plenty of that. TTUL.......keep up the rhythm.

i forgot to ask, what happens with the center pole?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast