Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Butterfly quilted throw just completed by Patty >

Butterfly quilted throw just completed by Patty

Butterfly quilted throw just completed by Patty

Old 03-10-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Brenda Retzlaff
Oh Patty that is lovely. Your colors are so pretty and feminine and your quilting is really nice.
Thank you Brenda. This one is perfect for Kim. It is very soft, comfy and cuddly. I just use white muslin for the backing. Years ago I used to buy the pretty backs but since I was making queen sized quilts, that meant working quilt as you go and sometimes the seams didn't work like I liked so I went to plain white or off white muslin and like that a lot better. I'm the only one in my chapter to use muslin. The rest all use pretty backs and piece to fit. On rare occasion, such as my 2 mystery quilts where the pattern says how much backing to buy, I do buy it and so far haven't had to piece which is good. Looking at my new mystery quilt though I'm wondering if I'll be piecing because it is as wide as the top of my queen sized bed - fills the space side to side and from the pillow to the foot of the bed. Off to JoAnn's to look for some coordinating fabric for the new round robin exchange I got Monday night. Have a great day.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 PM

I JUST LOVE YOUR QUILT. I NEED TO DO A BABY QUILT FOR APRIL 18TH AND I THINK THAT MY FRIEND WOULD LOVE THIS AS MUCH AS I DO. CAN I GET THE PATTERN ON LINE OR A MAGAZINE?
SIMPLY, SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL PATTY.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:35 PM

Your quilt is just beautiful and is such a thoughtful gift. I'm sure it will be loved and treasured by Kim :P
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Have you tried using flat sheets of whatever size you need for the backing? I got some 200 thread count sheets in colors I needed on the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart for $7 for king size (108x102). Can't beat that price anywhere!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thea
I JUST LOVE YOUR QUILT. I NEED TO DO A BABY QUILT FOR APRIL 18TH AND I THINK THAT MY FRIEND WOULD LOVE THIS AS MUCH AS I DO. CAN I GET THE PATTERN ON LINE OR A MAGAZINE?
SIMPLY, SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL PATTY.
Thank you Thea. There is no pattern as such as it's my own making but go back to the butterfly patterns I've attached and below the picture is link to download each file. You'll get the full sized template. The quilt above is make using 15 inch squares - 3 across and 5 down.

Baby quilt adjustments:
15 inch square blocks
3 inch quilt strips - 6 per block - seams included in measurements
3 blocks across and 4 blocks down instead of the 5 that I used.

Go back and download the butterfly pattern that I used or see if you can find another one to use if you wish to hand quilt the butterflies and they don't take long to do. I do think it could be quilted on the machine for someone who is good at it; I'm just learning so hand quilted them.

Get out a scratch paper and play around with the layout or go to the store and find your fabrics. Decide how many you want to use. Go find a place to sit and do some drawing on a note pad to figure out the layout you'd like to use or do that before you go to the store. My quilt has 6 different fabrics in it and no, I can't tell you how much fabric to buy. As a scrap quilter, I just buy and this is my 3rd butterfly quilt. As I bought for each of the other 2, knowing I wanted to do this quilt, I bought plenty of extra and have enough left to finish up the round robin quilt I have going when it comes back to me.

Look at my layout and once you figure out your layout scheme, you should be able to estimate pretty close. Just remember each block is 15 inches. How many striped blocks will you use (3 inchs per strip). How many strips of each color will you need and how many blocks and you can guess pretty close so you don't have a lot of waste.

My fabric came from JoAnn Fabrics but a lady told me she bought some in her quilt shop which surprised us. Actually she was the surprised one since she thought I had broken my pattern of NOT buying in quilt shops but had this beautiful pattern. Bought mine in FL but also found it in a store in IL.

attached is a full size picture of the quilt for you; click on the link below and download. It's fun, easy and amazingly fast.

To get butterflies scroll back because I don't feel I should send the full sized files through again. Down load link is below them.
Please let me know how you do with this and a photo would be great.

butterfly quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15239[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15239.jpe  
Old 03-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Your quilt is just beautiful and is such a thoughtful gift. I'm sure it will be loved and treasured by Kim :P
Thank you. She'll get it at her party on Monday night although she has seen it as a work in progress. Now I'm working on making her a birthday card using the quilt as a background and a photo of her from a recent newspaper article.

Attached is a photo of the front of the birthday card I'm working on.

birthday card front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15169[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15169.jpe  
Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Have you tried using flat sheets of whatever size you need for the backing? I got some 200 thread count sheets in colors I needed on the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart for $7 for king size (108x102). Can't beat that price anywhere!
I have a couple of times but not for years. Thank you for the good reminder. Have no clue why I got away from using them. Probably when I got away from quilting the whole quilt but doing quilt as you go in panels as I have to cut them up anyway but yes, they wore beautifully and never faded which is amazing when you realize how sheets can wear on the bed but then a quilt is protected by the sheets we sleep between. Thank you.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM

That is so sweet!! :thumbup: Good job!!

Ditter
Old 03-18-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
That is so sweet!! :thumbup: Good job!!

Ditter
Thank you.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM

she will love her butterfly quilt! It is darling :thumbup: