Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can anyone identify this block pattern for me? (please?)

A friend sent this pic to me of a quilt that some senior citizens are making at the local center here. They were wanting to know what the name of the block pattern is. When she was describing it to me before sending the pic it sounded like a bow tie block, but now that I see it I can tell it's not really the bow tie. Anyone know what this block pattern is commonly called? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrow?

Take a look at the third quilt down.
    http://www.homemadecountry.com/Handm...ge_Quilts.html

Oops now I see it's different. Sorry about that. But sure looks like an arrow to me. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    Arrow?

Take a look at the third quilt down.
    http://www.homemadecountry.com/Handm...ge_Quilts.html

Oops now I see it's different. Sorry about that. But sure looks like an arrow to me. ;-)
    It looks like it is the same quilt, just does not have the sashing inbetween the blocks.

I leafed through the Maggie Malone book, nearly gave up, but I think it's a variation of a block called "I Do".

Hope that's helpful.

Blog Entries
    No, I don't think it's that arrow block. If you open the picture and put it next to Eddie's, you can see it's very different.

Sorry....I don't know the name. But it's really a simple pattern, rail fence next to quarter square triangles, and solid squares next to rail fence.

I can see by looking closely, the red arrows are getting lost inside the red blocks. Look closely and you will see it is two different red prints! That gives it a totally different look......The blocks are actually four arrow points! It Is the same block eazypeezy sent without the sashing

Looks like an signature block except the colors are different. Center rectangle would be creme/white and the signature would go there. While the little triangles would be a color as would the large triangles. I like it. It has a masculin feel this way. Reminds me of arrows.

Another thought. It looks like a straight line pieced version of a orange peel block.

The center rectangle is four triangles, it's set on point and each of the arrow points is a corner.

Maggie Malone "5,000 Quilt Block Designs" p.168 design number 2315

No it's not the same as the one easypeezy posted, that one has squares in the center for the arrow points, the one she sent does actually look like a bow tie like eddie first thought. This is more like jljack said with a rail fence, qst's and plain blocks, I circled the rail fence in red, qst's in blue and plain block in yellow. Neat pattern! I haven't seen the maggie malone pattern, so that may be it.

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Actually if you look at them side by side, the ONLY difference is the sashing. The 4 meeting reds hide the 4 corners of the arrows joining. The one that EezyPeezy posted is of 4 different colors & has the sashing to separate them.

Happy Quilting!
    Susan

It looks like its surpose to be a hunter star buy its going the wrong way

The mystery continues...

I see love letters, but can't find a love letter quilt that looks just like it.

Janice and Rachel are right. The pattern name is Firecracker.

Not sure I can put the link for this one but there's a quilt on about.com called
    "Fire Cracker Quilt" By Janet Wickell. I'm sure you can find it through google.

Another blogger also talked about it here:
    http://fabricfun-everythingquilts.bl...ail-fence.html

Quote Originally Posted by Angellight
    Actually if you look at them side by side, the ONLY difference is the sashing. The 4 meeting reds hide the 4 corners of the arrows joining. The one that EezyPeezy posted is of 4 different colors & has the sashing to separate them.

Happy Quilting!
    Susan
    I pulled them up side by side and they look the same to me except for the sashing. Some of the red points do not show up when they meet because the reds do not have a lot of contrast. Look at the others and you will see their points go into making the square.

Blog Entries
    The arrow heads have straight backs next to the rail fence section. The one EasyPeezy posted has a different shape. No, not the same. Look at where the 4 arrow heads go together. The shape is different in the two quilts.

Here is the link to the Firecracker Quilt - it is exactly like Eddie's, just different colors.
    http://quilting.about.com/od/picture...cker-Quilt.htm

I have a copy of the book "The New Quilting & Patchwork Dictionary" by Rhoda Ochser Goldberg, Published by Crown copyright 1988. This design appears on page 155 and is described as "I DO" then on the next line as an alternate name N-S-E-W (which I translate as north, south, east, west).

My mother found the book whilst thrift shopping and bought it for me...an oldie but a goodie...I have found it really useful, it has hundreds of patterns all in alphabetical order drafted on graph paper and has names and alternate names for each.

I was going to scan the page, but not sure if that is allowed.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think it is firecracker with the colors changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Angellight

Happy Quilting!
    Susan
    No the first one easypeezy posted has small triangles in the corners of the solid squares and the arrow heads are 4 patches not qst patches. I think she got it exactly right with the "firecracker" determination! I love the way they did the colors as compared to the other one shared, eddie's really makes the arrows stand out!! It also looks like they made their rail fence patches uneven, so the middle bar is thicker than the two outside bars, a very cool effect!

Rachel

Thank you all for the input! I figured there were probably going to be several different names for it, now we know! :D