Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Cathedral Windows

  1. #1
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,891
    This is a quilt I designed for one of my classes some years ago. They want all machine done on the sewing machine and large windows. We did this row by row and when it was done, it was complete. I had them put a piece of batting behind each window to give it a puff look. Here is a file of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    So did you do it as a quilt as you go ?

    Would love to see more details on how you did it :wink: :lol:

    Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

  3. #3
    Senior Member GrannyW5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    813
    Beautiful. I did one of them. The blocks were smaller and it is all done by hand. This sounds sooooo much easier.

  4. #4
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Very pretty!

  5. #5
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,891
    I will check my files to see if I kept the instuctions etc and will send a pdf if you want it.

    Since you are folding the fabric in four, I think, it is quite thick and there is really no need for batting but it can be put in, each block. I just put it behind the window. Yes it was all done when you sewed the last row on. That is what everyone loved about this quilt.

  6. #6
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    That would be awesome , THANK YOU :lol:

  7. #7
    Super Member franie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,573
    where is the tute?

  8. #8
    reach for the stars 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ILL.
    Posts
    3,568
    That is pretty.

  9. #9
    Super Member Justquilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,686
    Very pretty!

  10. #10
    Senior Member vjengels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    So did you do it as a quilt as you go ?

    Would love to see more details on how you did it :wink: :lol:

    Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
    All the Cathedral Window are QAg

  11. #11
    quiltilicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    583
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    I will check my files to see if I kept the instuctions etc and will send a pdf if you want it.

    Since you are folding the fabric in four, I think, it is quite thick and there is really no need for batting but it can be put in, each block. I just put it behind the window. Yes it was all done when you sewed the last row on. That is what everyone loved about this quilt.
    I would also like instructions if you have them and are willing to share. That is so generous of you!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    39
    I would love to see the instructions. Very Pretty!

  13. #13
    Senior Member vjengels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    I will check my files to see if I kept the instuctions etc and will send a pdf if you want it.

    Since you are folding the fabric in four, I think, it is quite thick and there is really no need for batting but it can be put in, each block. I just put it behind the window. Yes it was all done when you sewed the last row on. That is what everyone loved about this quilt.
    I would also like instructions if you have them and are willing to share. That is so generous of you!
    Here's a tute that was posted some time back-
    hyena-in-pettycoats.com\2007/08cathedral-window-tutorial.html

  14. #14
    Member kristananne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    34
    Gorgeous! One day I will try this. One day.

  15. #15
    Super Member Dawn Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wilson, NC
    Posts
    1,661
    OO yes I would like to know the size of your squares.. I have done it with the smaller squares. I will keep an eye on your post.. Thanks

  16. #16
    Super Member quiltinggirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    4,101
    Very nice!!

  17. #17
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,882
    Blog Entries
    1
    The posted link didn't work for me, but I found this with a Google search:

    http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html

  18. #18
    Senior Member vjengels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    The posted link didn't work for me, but I found this with a Google search:

    http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html
    Yes! that's the one... sorry my copying skills need some work.
    Great tutorial!

  19. #19
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,201
    Blog Entries
    6
    A PDF file would really be great!! You will have to teach all of us!!LOL

  20. #20
    Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sparta, Missouri
    Posts
    1,146
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    I will check my files to see if I kept the instuctions etc and will send a pdf if you want it.

    Since you are folding the fabric in four, I think, it is quite thick and there is really no need for batting but it can be put in, each block. I just put it behind the window. Yes it was all done when you sewed the last row on. That is what everyone loved about this quilt.
    Would you consider doing a tutorial on this? If unable to do that, I too, would appreciate a copy of instructions? Thank you for being willing to share! Beautiful quilt!

  21. #21
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    That is beautiful. I love the batting idea. Great quilt.

  22. #22
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Very pretty :D:D:D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.