Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Celtic Knots, Medallion Center, Braids In Blue/Greens/Yellows/Aqua >

Celtic Knots, Medallion Center, Braids In Blue/Greens/Yellows/Aqua

Celtic Knots, Medallion Center, Braids In Blue/Greens/Yellows/Aqua

Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Love the colors you chose.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:24 PM

It glows. You really aced it - the color choices, the way they shade from one to the next, the different borders. You've got everything in there and it all works together beautifully.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
Very beautiful quilt, looks like you have a zillion hours in it!
Peg, it only SEEMS like a zillion. I started on the center last July right after we got the challenge. The center was inspired by Carriem's use of that pattern in her medallion quilt. I have done some applique by hand, but nothing like this. Of course, with holidays and all the other activities that accompany being a Nana, I didn't work on it continuously. It seemed to take forever and then just figuring out how to place colors and I kept seeing fabric that screamed I need to be in there, too. I am glad it is DONE and I am moving on to another quilt inspired by a lovely, sharing quilter on the QB. This time I am following a pattern and it is lovely 2" squares when done. This one is a sanity saver.

Last edited by Quilter 65; 02-03-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:49 AM

I love your design and the colors really make it pop. Awesome job.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Spectacular!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 AM

Well Done! I love those colors too!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
Close-up of my first attempt at a Celtic Knot pattern. Oh, and I made my own bias tape using two different fabrics to give a bit of interest with a Clover tape maker and used steam a seam II to hold edges. I have since found the Clover brand and hope it will go through the thingy better.
I love your quilt, and am particularly fascinated by the Celtic Knot pattern.

What is the final width of the bias tape you made? Does the Clover tape maker result in bias tape that is four or two layers of fabric? I assume you used the Steam a Seam II to hold the bias tape in place long enough to quilt it down. Is this correct? Did you sew the bias tape to the quilt top by hand or machine?

Thank you, in advance, for any details you're willing to share. I have a quilt design floating around in my head right now that would incorporate long lengths of narrow bias tape, so I'm trying to gather as much intel as possible to help once I get started!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:33 AM

What a lovely quilt. It is a masterpiece! Luann
Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508840[/ATTACH]Not sure that you can read my illustration, SewCraftyGirl, but I wrote a lengthy description and it went away not sure how a scan will show up. I used a 3/8" bias making tool from Clover. I didn't have their brand of adhesive on hand and I had been gifted the Steam-A-Seam II in the 1/4" size. It wouldn't go through tool in the designated spot so I experimented and improvised. I cut the bias strip a scant 3/4". If you double the size of the finished tape, one edge will spring loose. I pressed the bias strip first and then with fingers positioned the SAS in the CENTER of the bias strip. I then ironed in place and then removed the paper strip. I let it cool and then ran the strip with the adhesive SAS through the tool with the iron in pressing it as it came through. I touched it up with iron if any bubbles of non-contact were evident. I let it cool. Copied the pattern to paper and cut it out and positioned it in place on the fabric. I did this to see where things would end, how much pattern would need to be modified, etc. I did not make seams to join bias strips together after the first time. It is hard to get through the tool and makes a lot of thickness to hand stitch through and the adhesive does firm it up a bit. I machine stitched the tape through the paper and the quilt top. Hand appliqued the edges of the tape to hold in place and then removed the paper and basting as I proceeded. The pattern is from Celtic Quilts, A New Look for Ancient Designs by Beth Ann Williams, which I got from Amazon for less than $5 as it was used. I did things differently as I moved along and found better ways to accomplish my goal. It sounds clumsy but it worked for me and by leaving the paper in place as long as I did, I didn't have much "take up" from the stitching--I would say about 1/4 inch and the strips were 56 or so inches long. I also used some Elmer's School Glue to hold things in place, but don't get in stitching spots as it frays the thread as it is pulled back and forth. If this is as clear as mud, contact me for clarification. Thanks for all the nice comments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CCF02042015.pdf (337.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Sorry about the illegibility of the attempt to add a drawing. It SEEMED like it would work.