Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Celtic Knotwork French Braid Quilt >

Celtic Knotwork French Braid Quilt

Celtic Knotwork French Braid Quilt

Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
The embroidery is from Designers Gallery Interactives, Celtic Knotwork. The photo is a little overexposed, if you would like a closer more truthful color shot, let me know and I will upload another. I used Floriani Rayon Thread for the embroidery.

I plan to do a stencil quilting down the braids of a triquetra (trinity) symbol, with a border knots for the sashing and matching knots for the borders. Not sure I will do any special quilting in the embroidered blocks or if I will just SID around the outside of the block. If I do anything it will be an echo. All quilting is planned in a dark brown to match the sashing color.

And I do hope it is "Show Worthy" cause I want to enter it in a show. Will be my first. Just think it would be fun to do, at least once.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]392799[/ATTACH]
Thank you! There are 3 embroidery machines running around my house...my Mom lives with us and has found a new passion in embroidery...this could be a collaboration with her! Thank you so much!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Colors are just gorgeous. Good luck in the quilt show!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM

Magnificent!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:24 PM

I love the Celtic symbles, what a nice accent to those wonderful colors.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Beautiful...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM

It's absolutely gorgeous!!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Beautiful, he will love it. Good luck in the show.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM

This is a beautiful quilt!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Thank you ladies, In person that quilt really does glow with life (its not just the bad lighting and shoddy photography)

I am quite proud to say that my points are like 90% perfect, there are a few that are a smidge (less than 1/8th) off, but I worked really hard to ensure that they were nearly perfect, also making sure that horizontally in the center was nearly perfect cause it would show real bad if it wasnt. Was definitely an exercise in patience which I sorely lack.

The pattern is a french braid, I borrowed the "French Braid Obsession" book from local library (digital version whoohoo) and basically read the "how to" on making french braids, there are some keys to making a successful one. This is what I got out of it:
1. Pre-wash and STARCH all fabrics, they stretch horribly when trimming braids,
2. Cut precisely, this to me is the biggest key, you must be 100% accurate on cutting, makes braiding easier
3. To get the most out of a braid, (in my opinion) you need to pay close attention to the value of the color,
4. Lay out fabric on table in what you think is the braid order and LEAVE it there for a minimum of a week, look at it in different lights, times of day, out of the corner of your eye etc. adjust as you see any "jarring" My red/black one was supposed to be 12 fabrics but I ended up with only 11 cause after 2-3 days I couldnt get the order right till I took one color out. Be aware this happens and prepare for it ahead of time.
5. Go slow, it really isnt bad once you get the hang of it, I can knock one full braid out in about an hour now.
6. start with table runners, these make great table runners, the center block is perfect for fussy cut large print fabric, embroidery or that newish circle attachment (think it's babylock that does it)

As far as what size strips and centers....I designed that myself. The centerpiece cross knot is 6 x 6 and with the corners added it made it like 10x10, so I made that square 12.5 x 12.5, which then makes that row of braids 12.5ins long. with a quilt that big, I figured 2in strips would be best, so I ended up cutting the braids 12.5 x 2.5, the small squares then fall into 2.5x2.5 ins..

the off-braids, well I just kinda halfed the size of the big one so they would stand out, they are like 7.5x2.5, the triangles that I cut to finish the center of those braids and the ends of the main braids, I cut afterwards by laying it down and measuring what I would need.....

the finished size was whatever it ended up being, believe me I was praying the whole time it would come out to queen sized when done, thankfully it did...

so that is how I designed it. hope it helps.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 PM

Just gorgeous!