Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Celtic Rings >

Celtic Rings

Celtic Rings

Old 02-22-2010, 12:27 PM

nice quilt
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM

Hi Smitty,
your quilt is beautiful, actually I like it better than the one in the book. I think the name of yours is Celtic Rings, I just quilted Celtic Charms, now needs binding. I thought it was really hard to get all those sections lined up, Yours look perfect!!!, mine definitely aren't. The technique is clever and I thought it would go together easily, but not for me. Do you have any tips.
thanks, peel
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 AM

hi Smitty,
I'm sorry I read your post, the new one is celtic rings, your avatar is celtic dawn. The rest of my response stands, I had trouble matching.
peel
Old 02-23-2010, 08:55 AM

I do try to only line up block to block and have ripped out a few of the seam and resewn especially the angled blocks to perfect 1/4 inch seams. I also make plexiglass templets which, for me, help getting the pieces exactly cut. I also constuct each row as I go keeping each end seam in line, then sew the rows into one half and then the second. I'm kinda anal about accurately sewing each bloch. My wife and her sisters are all long time quilters so I have a pretty high standard to attain which makes me pay that much more attention and not say to myself thats close enough. I thank all the quilters out there that I have viewed thier work that inspires me to quilt, and all of you who have taken the time to view my work, please feel free to critique as any suggestions always help.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smitty47
I do try to only line up block to block and have ripped out a few of the seam and resewn especially the angled blocks to perfect 1/4 inch seams. I also make plexiglass templets which, for me, help getting the pieces exactly cut. I also constuct each row as I go keeping each end seam in line, then sew the rows into one half and then the second. I'm kinda anal about accurately sewing each bloch. My wife and her sisters are all long time quilters so I have a pretty high standard to attain which makes me pay that much more attention and not say to myself thats close enough. I thank all the quilters out there that I have viewed thier work that inspires me to quilt, and all of you who have taken the time to view my work, please feel free to critique as any suggestions always help.
You do ALL this and still it only takes you a few days to do a quilt? You are one amazing man!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:03 AM

I like!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the source ;-) You do nice work. Your avatar is stunning!
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 AM

I have the book, and took a class from her when she was here for our guild a couple years ago. I enjoyed her class immensely.
Love your quilt! It is another for my bucket list!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Actual time was about 26 hours total. Being retired I spend longer hours during the day as I can and evenings especially ine the winter. We're not remote but very rural and theres not a lot of extra things going up here in rural Vermont during winter. I usually work like this when Machine quilting for customers so to make the turn around for them quicker.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Thanks for your speedy reply. I was looking through Ms. Coombs book again and using your information and her sewing information I'm going to try a couple of blocks to see if I can get the matching better.
thanks again, peel