Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Christmas Gifts Completed >

Christmas Gifts Completed

Christmas Gifts Completed

Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM

Here are pics of the two quilts I finished for family for Christmas. I have now experienced what some of the other quilters have mentioned....working with patterns or colors that are the recipients taste, but not mine.
The first quilt was for y grandson who is 11 and likes non-scary skulls and black...go figure. It is odd because he is such a sweet kid. Anyway, I found this skull material at Wal-Mart, great price, decent quality. Then when I found out that orange was no longer his favorite color, needed to add the black and gray. Again, not my comfort zone as far as colors. Then his mom drew a skull and cross bones which I appliqued on the corners. The back is flannel skull and cross bones. Then I had extra and made him a pillow case. Gave it to him to night and he was very pleased. Said that when he isn't covering with it, it will be on the bottom of his bed.
The second one was my first attempt at a rag quilt. My DH said he wasn't partial to this type of quilt, so I was a little concerned about how my daughter would like it, well, she was thrilled. She dozed under it while dinner was finishing up and joked that she wanted to finish desert quickly so she could get back to her snugly quilt. :-) What is interesting is that she is a gold and silver smith so works with her hands and is very tactile. As she was covered with the quilt she was fingering the raggy portions and said she like the soft feel of it. So, I guess I needn't have worried.
Please forgive the whitish splotches on the pics...it turned out we did have a lightly white Christmas after all!

Nathaniels Quilt full view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147828[/ATTACH]

Back of Quilt and Pillowcase - pattern is skull and cross bones
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147829[/ATTACH]

Label - First try at this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147830[/ATTACH]

Melanies quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147831[/ATTACH]

Back and Label
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147832[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147823.jpe   attachment-147824.jpe   attachment-147825.jpe   attachment-147826.jpe   attachment-147827.jpe  

Old 12-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Cyn

I like them!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:08 PM

Both great, love the skeleton.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Magpie - Thanks, they wouldn't be my choice, but I am finding that a lot of kids that age like them. I even found them with pink and lavender hearts and Pink bows on the head....

Melanie is my eldest DD, and is moving into a new apartment, so I will be making her a regular quilt for her king sized bed. She is wonderful at color coordinating so will definitely take her along when I pick them. I told Nat that when he wore that one out, I would make him a new one.

Thanks for all the kind words.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Really nice quilts!!
Old 12-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Great job!!! I love raggedy edge quilts and they gt softer the more they are used.
I love the skull quilt too!!!! I understand about how fast their tastes change when they are younger.
I made everything pink for a great niece and now she loves red lol!!!!
Old 12-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM

i'll bet nathaniel and melanie were very impessed with these beauties.... grat job...
Old 12-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Great job! But I encourage you to include your full name as well as the full name of the recipient on future quilts. Someday your decendants might not know who Meme is.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jaynie
Great job! But I encourage you to include your full name as well as the full name of the recipient on future quilts. Someday your decendants might not know who Meme is.
You are absolutely right, I just sorta felt odd putting my full name and their full name...I thought they might think I was nutty :oops:
I have a feeling these are going to be well love and worn out, rather than getting passed on... ;-)