Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Christmas Log Cabin Star >

Christmas Log Cabin Star

Christmas Log Cabin Star

Old 01-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by franie
OH MY GOSH! What dimension you have gotten. I love it. Not sure I have the patience for this. YOu do beautiful work.

Thanks Franie, I am not sure I would do another like this. It took so long to do those blocks and one gets a bit bored after a while and loosing interest was on the way too lol....but I managed to stay with it as I did like the way it was looking.

It's not the same as a log cabin, a diamond made in this style is a bit clumsy to turn etc. I am taking a break from it today to do some knitting.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 AM

absolutely beautiful! can't wait to see it finished. =)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Ok putting it together now. I am writing a tutorial as I go along and I would like to post it here as a pdf but don't know how.

Ok, we start putting the middle star together. I will be working on half the star. Remember 60 degree tri's are set in, so I will mark a 1/4 inch in from the outside of the the two tri's and sew all the way to the end.

I wil then set in the tri that you see on top,. Setting in, that means that I will sew from the outside to the set in and backstich and cut the thread, turn and sew the other side.

Then I will sew the other tri to the side of the first two, also setting in and then set in the top tri to that group.

the two tri's are put back, now I flip the top tri down and sew from the right toward the middle where the set in is, backstitch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156164[/ATTACH]

here i have taken the two tri's awayand you can see the tri on top that will be set into the space left by setting in the seam on the two tri's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156170[/ATTACH]

I will sew from the pin down, leaving that set in space to put the tri that is on top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156172[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156159.jpe   attachment-156165.jpe   attachment-156167.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM

Here the top tri is flipped over to sew the second side. I press each seam on the wrong side and then on the right side. I don't have a particular way with this quilt because of all the seams. I just press it the way it falls the best.

The top tri flipped to sew the other side, from the left to the pin where the set in is.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156165[/ATTACH]

Here it is on the right side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156166[/ATTACH]

This is how it looks on the wrong side, look at the set in, it matches nicely.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156183[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156160.jpe   attachment-156161.jpe   attachment-156178.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Here you can see, when two tri's and a top tri are removed, it leaves a perfect hex.

I am just feeling my way through this putting it together. I haven't got a clue lol...I am just doing it as I go along.

Here is the top half of the star with the set in tri's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156187[/ATTACH]

Here are the two halves of the star with their set -in's. I will now sew the two halves together, leaving a set in on each side, in order to set in the two tri's in that area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156188[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156181.jpe   attachment-156182.jpe   attachment-156183.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 PM

The two halves are sewed together and the sides set in (SI). Then the top three and their SI are made and then the bottom ones.

So now you see three of the center pieces. I have pinned them together and will sew them next.

Then the surrounding ones are done the same way....all the parts consist of the three triangles and their SI.

The last SI, which are really the background of the quilt will be just plain tri's in the light color and between every set there will be a dark tri to add dimention to those tops if looking at a box.

The sewing together is nothing compared to making those blocks lol.

When I sew the top and bottom set to the middle star, they will also be set in 1/4 inch on both side to accomodate the side tri's. I just realized that. This is a learning process.

Here you see the center star with the SI's and sewed down the middle and the two side SI's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156316[/ATTACH]

this is where I took the three tri's to sew together. Then the top plain blocks will be set in.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156317[/ATTACH]

Here is the top part of the quilt, the middle and the bottom. All the parts are sewed together. Then they are just pinned, so you can see the progression.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156319[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156311.jpe   attachment-156312.jpe   attachment-156314.jpe  
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM

I have finished the quilt, that is before I totally burned it up lol

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89424-1.htm

I needed to square the quilt off, as it is in the shape of a hex. Since this was a custom quilt without instruction lol, I layed the quilt on my mat and made sure it was square on the hex side to the other hex. The part that is at at angle needs to be filled in. I squared off the sides by cutting away half of the tri's pm the two side that were sticking out there, leaving a quarter inch seam allowance.

I made a paper pattern first. I just layed the paper well over the quilt part and then folded it back to match the angle of the quilt. Then I cut the paper pattern on that angle, making sure to include a 1/4 in seam.

I added the extra odd tri's to four sides and here it is. I just pinned it up for you to see the effect. I don't know if I will do a border or not. I want it for the single bed, so I will check it out.

one side of hex square to the mat, the angle on the mat will be the new patch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157535[/ATTACH]

laying the paper over the mat and extenting over the quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157536[/ATTACH]

The quilt top finished
[ATTACH=CONFIG]157537[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157530.jpe   attachment-157531.jpe   attachment-157532.jpe  
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Even after putting in the extra pieces, the quilt still has to be squared.

It was easy to square this quilt,I folded the quilt crosswise, head to foot, and lined up the star points and pinned. Then I picked up the middle and brought it up to the top where I had pinned, found the center of the middle and lined it up with the pin.

The middle was a bit bigger that the top and bottom. I lined the ruler up from the middle up and cut away the excess on both side. This caused the side diamonds to be trimmed and it looks great.

Now, it fit the single bed nice on all sides except it needs a bit more to tuck the pillow. So I will decide if I will make a piano strip or whatever.....and just sew it to the top of the quilt.

I will just sew a very narrow, 1 inch border to keep the quilt square, so it will end up as a 1/2 inch and that is good.

I will post another pic after it is quilted.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by pjustice63
Thanks, Rosie. Hope you will give us some direction on joining these later. Have admired the ones I have seen here on the board.
BTW, I'm in Mt. Dora. Sure is cold today!!!!
Florida quilt unite! (I'm in north palm).

Wow, that's a stunning diamond log cabin. I'll come back, after I learn a bit more about quilting... so I can do something similar (foundation work).

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Absolutely stunning....Wow is my immediate impression.....