Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Christmas Socks For Soldiers in Afghanistan/Iraq

Our quilt group made these socks for the soldiers for Christmas. We worked on them on our beach retreat last week and had such fun. As I write this the socks are being filled with goodies and will soon be jetting off to the far East.

Over the retreat days at the beach we got 178 socks made plus we had a couple hundred before we went so we think we did OK and can't wait to hear how the Santa Project did this year.
    Name:  Attachment-50578.jpe
Views: 71
Size:  52.5 KB

Socks for Soldiers
    Name:  Attachment-52922.jpe
Views: 61
Size:  54.2 KB

Blog Entries
    What a lovely idea they will be so thankful

Power Poster
    They sure look nice.

WOW!
    I am so glad that you got involved with this project.
    be sure to keep us alerted to the results and needs.
    With the pictures, I could see where I could actually spend a week or two at the Post with this project and get a lot produced ... and, I can always choose it as a year-round project for the Auxiliary ...
    Keep in touch with the Bunkhouse and when the new year gets here, we will get something started in Ephrata/Grant County ... I know some wounded warriors who could use this also, so it will be a growing project, to say the least

Blog Entries
    Feathers are these the ones for the Marines ?
    You ladies really out did yourselfs :shock: GREAT job :lol:
    Sharon

You ROCK!!! What a kind, thoughtful thing to do for people who are undoubtedly wishing they could be somewhere else for Christmas.

M

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! :shock: :shock: Those are great!!! :D :D :D About 300 of them??? :shock: :shock: Bless each and every one of you for doing something so touching for our service members!!! :D :D :D

Thank you everyone for all the kudos but we make the socks because we're thankful to our soldiers (yes, the Marines) for their huge sacrifices. It's a project some of the Marine Corps families started but we've learned that the socks are given to any soldiers that are around, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Army. I understand the Military has warehouses they set up for Christmas so any of the guys can go there and get their Christmas socks but also get other things that they can chose to send home for their famiies for Christmas. This is our second year doing this project and I'm pretty sure it's one our quilt group will be doing forever! Would love to have all of you onboard for next year's socks.

Blog Entries
    I made 37 for this year. just have to take pictures and then mail them in . Bless your hearts for making so many :thumbup:

What a great idea.

WOW you guys did really good. The men and women are going to love them.

These are great. My grandson is there---is there a site that tells
    "just exactly" what is expected (materials, size. etc)? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjdt
    These are great. My grandson is there---is there a site that tells
    "just exactly" what is expected (materials, size. etc)? :?:
    Googe: Marinecorpsfamilyfoundation

it will take you to a webpage then click on the first website address. That will take you to the page where you'll scroll down and see a cardboard box with a Christmas Sock hanging out of the side of the box. Click on that. You will be taken to another page where it gives contact people..."Carrie Pool and her sister Carrie" are listed and there is a place to click under "Socks Pattern" or something like that...where you click is on the right side of the screen you'll be looking at toward the bottom of the page. That will take you to another screen with all the info. Good luck and thank you for your interest. They will accept the socks all year long but the deadline for the Christmas mailing for THIS YEAR was 10/01 or 10/05 with a mailing date by 10/15 to ensure the soldiers got the items.

Even tho it's through the marine corp family foundation, we were told that all the items we send, plus the other stuff other people make and send like quilts, hygiene items or whatever all go to a warehouse on the base then the military also purchase things that the guys can also choose for their own gifts as well as gifts to send home to their children and wives. The socks are NOT just for Marines they are for whatever arm of the service has men stationed at a particular post in Iraq or Afghanistan.

STIPULATIONS FOR THE SOCKS: They want them all the same size...the size of an 8 1/2 by 11 inch piece of paper. NO GLITTER ALLOWED...I don't know why except that it's so darned messy. You can quilt the socks, just use Christmas fabric of your choice, I made a bunch out of red, green and white fleece that turned out really nice, or you can use jean fabric and embellish to your hearts content. One of our ladies used denim and put "patches" of Christmas fabric on the heels, toes and around the ankle area on the socks. Another member of our group cut out little pieces or icons from different Christmas fabric and used seal and bond to afix them to the sock. One fabric piece looked like a Christmas package so she appliqued that on the cuff of the sock and and put a little ribbon on top for the package bow. They were darling.

Hope this helps.

OMG you sure have been busy!!

You so rock!!!!!!!!! :lol: As a mom of an Air Force son who found out 10 days ago that he will be in Iraq before Christmas, I am so glad that there are fantastic people like you around :!: :!:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Goose bumps rose when I read your post.
    Thank you.

Wow. That is so wonderful of your group to do that. That is a lot of stockings. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Awesome! Wonderful project.

Lives are changed thru good deeds like this! Just awesome!!!

pal
    I am so proud to announce that the Homemaker's in my county have made and donated 2500 Christmas Stockings to the USMC to be filled and sent overseas to our Servicemen.

Thanks to Feather's plea last year we got the pattern and offered it to the Homaker's Organization. They did the rest.

I have 63 more to send off tomorrow.

I am grateful that I had the opportunity to join such a wonderful, caring
    group of women, and that, in a small way, we can make a difference.

Thank you, again, Feather.

As the mother of a son that will be in Iraq by Christmas and one that had another son there 2 different Christmas's I want to tell you how much your work is appreciated!!!!! I'm planning on making stockings myself and am hoping to interest some others in the project as well so there will be more for next year. Pray for peace so our sons and daughters can come home :thumbup: :thumbup:

this is great i have a son deployed and i am sure they will love this
    HUGS Dora

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers
    Our quilt group made these socks for the soldiers for Christmas. We worked on them on our beach retreat last week and had such fun. As I write this the socks are being filled with goodies and will soon be jetting off to the far East.
    Fabulous !! great job !! I sew for quilts of valor and we really need to do for our military and show them we appreciate them!
    Janice , the proud mother of a firehawk deployed to Heaven .