Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ChristmasSocksForSoldiersProjectBOM91508???

Here is a picture of the Socks I made for the soldiers. Completed socks can be sent to:

C. Pool
    Stockign Coordinator
    Operation Santa USMC 2008
    2753 43rd Ave. SE
    Albany, OR 97322

Thank you all!
    Feathers

My Christmas Socks For Military
    Name:  Attachment-64645.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  60.1 KB

Those are so cute. Thanks for posting. Where would you send the stockings?

Hi Beachlady:
    I just checked with the website for www.marinecorpsfamilyfoundation.org and got all the info. If you'll go to that site it'll give you the info about where to send the socks. Feathers

Thank you feathers.

Hi Beachlady:
    If you go to the website address www.marinecorpsfamilyfoundation.org there are addresses to send the socks in different areas of the US. You can pick which place you choose to send you socks...close to home or across the country. It's up to you. The deadline to have the socks to the contact person in the area you are sending your socks is OCTOBER 15th. As long as one of these address' get your socks by the 15th of October you can rest assured the soldiers will have them in their hot little hands by Christmas. As you can see from the webpage, you can choose to fill the socks yourself for just send the socks. If you choose to fill the sock, please put the items in a ziplock plastic bag NOT IN THE SOCKS. The soldiers DO NOT NEED things like mouthwash, shampoo, toothpaste. WHAT THEY WANT are things they can grab and eat on the run like jerky, individually wrapped candy - not chocolate as it's hot and chocolate melts, hard candy, licorice, individually wrapped cookies, granola bars, they love homemade cookies but again they need things they can grab and run with and something that won't crumble all over them...rice krispy treats are a good choice or bar cookies like rice krispy treats. Gum, Tic Tacs, Menthos, Altoids, Bit of Honey candy, are all good choices. This info came directly from my nephew who has been in Iraq for 2 tours of duty. He told me he never got a Christmas sock but knows he would have loved getting one. He also said lots of the guys shared their "goodies" with little kids on the streets who were hungry, dirty and some were even homeless. He said he always carried something in his pocket to give a child when he saw them. That made me cry.

I hope everyone who makes Christmas Socks for the soldiers will post pictures of them so we can all see the love and caring we are shipping off to our young men and women who are far from home and family.

Oh how cute and I know they will be appreciated. What a wonderful thing you are doing.

Those are really cute.

I am in :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks

To whom do you give the donated socks when completed? If you have an address and a date by which they need to be completed, I might be able to make and send some. I must have missed the original post on this subject.

[u]www.marinecorpsfamilyfoundation.orgI

f you go to this website it'll give you the names of contact people in or near your state and it gives you all the info about the project. The project listing on this webpage is on the right of the webpage and has a picture of a cardboard box with a little Christmas Sock hanging on the side of the box. Deadline to have the socks to the contact person is October 15th. These socks make up really quickly and you can get 4 socks out of 2/3 of a yard of material. Don't forget to look under the PICURES and the BLOCK OF THE MONTH threads for Christmas Socks for Soldiers Project as there's more info. Thanks for your interest. I know our soldiers will appreciate any Christmas Sock they receive.

Feathers

JUST A REMINDER, THE CHRISTMAS SOCKS FOR THE SOLDIERS NEED TO BE IN THE HANDS OF THE PROJECT COORDINATOR BY OCTOBER 15TH. COORDINATOR ADDRESS NEAREST YOUR HOME IS ON THE WEBPAGE. A HUGE THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO PARTICIPATED. THIS IS AN ANNUAL THING SO IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO DO THIS AGAIN NEXT YEAR, I'M SURE THERE'LL BE SOLDIERS WHO WOULD APPRECIATE THE SOCKS NEXT YEAR.

Blog Entries
    That's a wonderful project for everyone to do, for the military men and women.. The material shop here in my home town, had a military sock day, and we had a wonderful turn out.. In fact I went there, and leart how to make one, with a litle help, and stayed the whole day, and made 17 of them more..

Isewman:
    Good for you for the 17 socks you made. They are easy, quick and fun and most of the people I've heard from have made several to send. One of our board members took the idea to her quilt group and I think she said they made 170 some before they ran out of materials. That's just great and all you quilters are so generous and willing to pitch in and help. Again, thank you Isewman and Everyone.

bump - was on page 3 and took me forever to find. Hopefully it will saty up top til morning.

My stockings for the soldiers. It was a fun project. They are ready to be mailed today and should make it to Oregon before the 15th! Thanks for the chance to be part of this Feathers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BeachLady:
    Your Christmas Socks are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sending a picture and THANK YOU for making them. I just think when Christmas rolls around all of US who sent socks are going to have an even better Christmas knowing some poor young men/women who'd love to be home for Christmas but can't at least have a sock filled with goodies and made with love from folks "back home or as they said during Viet Nam, "Back in the world" who care and are thinking of them. THANK YOU again for participating in the project. The only other thing I can ask each of us to do is to pray for our soldiers everyday for their safety.

Feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers
    I put another picture on that is a bit better pattern than the first one.
    Mail Socks to:

C.Pool
    Stocking Coordinator
    Operation Santa USMC 2008
    2753 43rd Ave. SE
    Albany, OR 97322
    Just wanted to bump this to the top which I'll do for the next couple days to make sure everyone knows where to send the socks and that they need to be in the Coordinator's hands NO LATER THAN October 15th.

THANK YOU...Please post pictures of your socks before mailing them.
    Feathers

I made a few too. They're off to the coordinator. Thanks for the fun BOM Feathers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great stockings Chelle. Now on to finish promised things to my family!!!!

Chele:
    Your Christmas socks are so pretty. Thank you so much.
    Feathers

I really meant to make more as they were so easy to do - but time did not allow - here are the 3 I got done..........

3 socks for soldiers 2008
    Name:  Attachment-18624.jpe
Views: 4
Size:  42.7 KB

Great socks rein!

Rein, your socks are darling...3 socks is wonderful. That's 3 soldiers in Iraq who are going to get some homemade love from home this Christmas! Good for you. Thanks.

Although I love this site and enjoy looking at all the beautiful projects everyone makes, I have never posted before. HOWEVER, I just had to let you know what seeing your project put in motion for our troops.

On Sept 6 I was looking at all the wonderful projects and saw the Christmas stockings for the troops. I read all the posts and found the website for Marine Family Foundation. I wrote and asked where to get the pattern and they emailed it to me. I was disappointed to know I only had a little over a month to make stockings and get the in the mail to the. SOOOO, immediately I sent out emails and presented it to our chapter of the American Sewing Guild.

This week we will be mailing over 700 stockings(not sure of exact count until Tuesday meeting), over 100 pounds of donated candy to help fill them and (we have someone that might either pay shipping or help with cost of shippinp) we will be sending them the remainder of the money that has been donated which is around $700(cross your fingers that they pay ALL the shippingso we can send the full amount) lol. We have been very blessed by this project and hope the troops who receive the stockings will be too. Thanks for sharing your wonderful project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast