Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cindy's New Toy >

Cindy's New Toy

Cindy's New Toy

Old 07-08-2010, 07:06 AM
QKO

A couple of weeks ago, we took Cindy's Viking Designer 1 in for it's regular maintenance. Since there was a quilt show in Reno and the sewing center folks were all there, we didn't get it back for about 10 days. When she got it home, she tried it out and it was making a new, loud noise. :shock:

So, we called up the shop (100 miles away) and told them we would be bringing it in and that we expected it to be fixed while we waited. So, we drove back to Reno and gave them the machine. The tech got right to work on it, as promised.

While we were browsing the store, I spotted a machine I'd never seen before, although it's been around for awhile, the Viking Mega Quilter, and noted it was on sale for about $400 off. I rounded up Cindy and told her we should get a demo on it. We did, and tried it out. Wow, what a machine! Purpose-built for just quilting, it's basically an industrial machine and just does straight stiching and FMQ at up to 1600 SPM. Cindy's been using her D1 for quilting for a long time, and that's basically an embroidery machine. This one has a lot bigger throat, and a bunch of other nice features oriented to quilting. I'm a believer in using tools that are purpose-built for a given job, and this one does it really well.

Anyway, we decided to buy one, and then they were out of stock, so we bought the demo unit for another 100 dollars off. So it was a pretty good deal. Now she'll be able to leave her D1 set up for embroidery.

We called it her "birthday present" as her birthday was just a few days away (yesterday, the 7th). She's loving the new machine and has been working for a couple days on a new cute quilt for our little grandson.

[img]http://www.quilt-kits-online.com/not...newmachine.jpg[/img]
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Ooooo she's a beauty!!! :D:D:D
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Aren't new toys wonderful? I am getting a new machine tomorrow (hopefully it will be in stock). I have had one machine in my life and it is 18 years old. Time for something new and exiting.

Enjoy your new toy!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 AM

I have one of those with a quilting frame, great machines for leaving set up at home. Those things are heavy!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Congratulations! I have had the D1 on my hands twice. The first time I was helping a friend set hers up, and the machine broke right there. It wouldn't sew. The store found out it had a defect and exchanged it. On another instance I got one as a loaner while my Bernina was being serviced, and it was broken too. The bobbin winder was engaged all the time. Is a great machine, but better if used for embroidery only.

Enjoy the new machine.

Nice!!! Enjoy!!

A very Beautiful machine!!! Congrats & ENJOY!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 AM

Whoo-hoo!! I LOVE MY DESIGNER 1!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Very nice!!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Have fun with the new toy. Hopefully you can figure out what all it does. That is my problem. I get something new and only figure out a couple of its features.