Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Clever Quarters

Clever Quarters

Hello Everyone, I am back for a little while. I am making a quilt out of the book named above. This quilt is for a friend who can't sew anymore, she is a very dear friend of mine. I am really enjoying sewing again. I haven't sewed for months right?

Anyway, this quilt calls for a lot of flying geese. Like 8 to a block. I studied the pattern and decided there is an easier way lol. You know, when you cut a strip and sew a square to each corner and then iron it back and cut off the other half? Well I'm not doing that lol. I went to the Quilters Cache and downloaded one of her pp geese patterns in my size. I cut one off as I only needed two together. I then made four pp pattern on freezer paper in the printer. Just iron the freezer paper lightly to a sheet of printer paper and run it through, Works like magic. This way I could pp four section of geese at a time. Then instead of wasting a lot of fabric as pp will do. I cut squares and cut them in half just a bit bigger than the geese on the paper and it worked easily without much waste at all and went so much quicker and gave perfect points.

First I make a sample out of my scraps to check the pattern (it's the first pic) and then the rest was easy. Also the HST's I just lay one square on top of another, draw a pencil line diagonally and sew 1/4 away on each side and then just trim them to size. Her pick of fabrics are all florals and roses, lots of lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

very nice! I'm going to try it.

Great technique and pretty design.
    Linda

Good to see you again. The quilt you are working on looks great.

Blog Entries
    Ohhh, your block is beautiful.

Blog Entries
    That's going to make a lovely quilt for your friend. Great lesson too; thank's!
    Mavis

I'm so glad you came and shared this! I'll use it!! Thank you. AND. Your blocks are beautiful. I hope you share the finished quilt!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Blog Entries
    looks good so far
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link. Interesting! Love your blocks.

Looks great to me. Love the block.

Thats going to be beautiful!! I love all your fabrics!!

For accuracy, paper piecing is the way to go. And I agree with you, so much easier to make flying geese that way. Love your fabric choices. It is going to look like a botanical garden when it is finished.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Hello again! What a great block and the fabrics work beautifully, thanks for sharing your technique...

Why not just cut quarter triangles for centers and match with HSTs for sides.....no papers involved. Both can be cut from strips of fabric using the right templates you will get the right triangle shapes......

Looking great, love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Why not just cut quarter triangles for centers and match with HSTs for sides.....no papers involved. Both can be cut from strips of fabric using the right templates you will get the right triangle shapes......
    I know Geri, but I didn't want to deal with bias and I can do it so much faster and more accurate with my little pp. Everything matches and I don't have to keep checking. I need to get this quit done quickly, so I am doing the shortcuts that work for me lol. Since I am using freezer paper, I don't really deal with paper. I just peel off the geese and then re-use the same pp over and over. I do cut a triangle for the middle and the sides from strips, I just use the pp to make it quickly and accurately.

Thank you ladies, it's so good to chat again and quilt lol. I will show the quilt after it's done and show some pic when I get a few more done. I am sure this block is in Block Base, if I find it I will post it.

Blog Entries
    I look forward to seeing the quilt finished. you are great for doing this for your friend.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing your tips. Your blocks are coming out wonderful and makes me eager to see the quilt when it is done. Love the colors too.
    Helen T.

I'm glad to see your back and quilting again! I must be a little daft today. I can't figure out how you are reusing the freezer paper. I have a pattern that is mostly flying geese and I would love to use your method but for some reason I can't get how you're doing it. I know how to PP so I should be able to understand it, duh! Can you please help clarify a little more? Thanks so much!!
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by fxsts93kf View Post
    I'm glad to see your back and quilting again! I must be a little daft today. I can't figure out how you are reusing the freezer paper. I have a pattern that is mostly flying geese and I would love to use your method but for some reason I can't get how you're doing it. I know how to PP so I should be able to understand it, duh! Can you please help clarify a little more? Thanks so much!!
    Sure, I will explain with pics. as soon as I start another one, I will do that sometime today.

Capital T

The name of the block is capital T and it is in block base #1662c. It is so easy. Make your geese at 4 1/2 finished) that is two geese sewed together. The HST's are 4 1/2 finished and the middle square is cut at 4 1/2. The block will finish at 12.5. You need four sets of geese, four sets of HST's and on middle patch.

It depends on where you put your lights and darks and mediums for the effect you want to get. I am limited with the fabrics that were already picked by my friend and so it will be what it will be lol.

I got the instruction to pp on freezer paper years ago from Barbara Valk )electric Quilt company) and never went back to tearing paper again. I will post the info when I start again.

Ok I went to utube to find you a video on PP on freezer. I will not comment lol...so lets see if I can do this so you can understand it. It is understood that you know how to pp on paper. You will have your pattern printed on the back side of the fp. On the sticky side you will lightly press your triangle (doing my pattern) making sure that you are at least 1/4 inch past the pattern lines or a little more. Put you card or, I use a piece of a plastic sheet, on the line where the next join is going to be, and fold the pattern back, place 1/4 inch ruler and cut, now you have your 1/4 inch seam. place your next tri, right sides together on the previous tri, now sew the seam, Notice the paper is folded back, you are not sewing through the paper, The tri is stuck on the back of the paper and is not moving.

Now fold the paper down and lightly iron that tri down, now do the other side and press that tri down and so on....you are doing the same thing, except that you don't sew through the paper but instead you fold it back and just sew the fabric seams together. I have a 1/4 inch foot on my brother quilt club that runs besides the paper fold and sews the seam on the fabric only. Just remember to fold the paper back and iron that piece on. Iron from the back, not on the fabric side. Iron on the pattern side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    She will treasure this quilt.

I'm going to print this out and give it a try. I would love to get away from tearing the paper! Thanks for the instructions!! I can't wait to see the finished quilt!
    Kelly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast