Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Cody's Dragon >

Cody's Dragon

Cody's Dragon

Old 05-23-2007, 08:38 PM

I made this a couple of years ago, & it was a double first: The first time I ever tried a Convergence design (Ricky Tims book "Convergence") and the first time I ever tried to do a free-motion "drawing" of that size, 33" X 20". The piecing was fun & no problem at all; I have never done a free-motion drawing of this size again. On a home machine I do not have enough visual area to complete my "drawing" with anything more than minimal accuracy, and I was too focused on the drawing to maintain consistent stitches. My nephew loved it, so I named it after him, & then gave it to him. Enjoy a good laugh on me... :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-54481.jpe  
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Dragons are nothing to laugh about and as far as I can see.....you did a fantastic job. I will smile though....it makes me happy!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Carla I love that, what a fantastic job you did. Mary
Old 05-24-2007, 05:29 AM

Thank you very much... I'm glad y'all like it.

I originally made it to represent the abundance of "organized chaos" going on in our home at the time... we were replacing (this went way beyond a remodel) our kitchen completely- floors, cabinets, appliances, etc. At the same time, exactly the same time, we were having hardwood floors put in the living room, hall, & closets joined to the hall. I felt so out of control in my own home; so many strangers in and out, nothing was where it belonged and 3/4 of it was in my sewing room... but I had a path to my sewing machine! :D I didn't have any room to lay this out, so I made a small flannel board, put a couple of those binder clips on it, & hung it from some stocking holders on the mantle. There was a lady working for the company that laid the tile in the kitchen; she came in & saw it hanging there from the night before (the incomplete top), and thought I was making a purse- said she loved it, wanted one, blah, blah, blah. When I explained that it was going to be a little wall hanging quilt, she smiled politely, & went about her business. When the crew returned 2 days later, it was hanging on the flannel board completed. (I was still trying to decide if I liked it or not.) One of the guys noticed it & called her in to see it; she went nuts over it, admitting her initial doubt over a "little quilt to hang on the wall...". Then she asked if I would make one for her, asking how much I would charge, etc. I told her I wasn't sure, but I'd let her know. I made it while they were here over the next 2 days, never telling her my intentions, ditch quilted it, and gave it to her before she left. (She was speechless & cried. I smiled, holding back tears myself, & told her that was all the thanks I needed, and I didn't charge her- I never intended to.) The ditch quilting added a very interesting design element to the back. Anyway, "Organized Chaos" was originally to be the name, but, what's in a name? :lol:
Attached Thumbnails design1.jpg   design2.jpg   wax-.jpg   firstdunk.jpg   drying.jpg  

drying1.jpg   soaking.jpg   inspector.jpg  
Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 AM

Carla, that is beautiful. I'm definitely going to have to try one of these convergence quilts. And the story of making one for the lady, made me feel all mushy inside. I'm sure she has it hanging in a very special place. Great job.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:20 AM

Thanks Tricia... you're so sweet.

She needed something a little feminine in her life. All of those guys were her Hubby, Sons, and Brother... No Daughters, D-I-Ls, G-Daughters, or Sisters. (1 ex-S-I-L living in GA, no contact) We ran into one of her Sons last Summer & he made it a point to tell me she has it hanging over her desk in her Home Office & just how proud of it she is. She gave it a good home. I told him to thank her for me.

Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails geese-pg-1.jpg   geese-pg-2.jpg   geese-pg-3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM

I love it Carla! I think I need to put the convergence book on my amazon.com wish list! lol I love the colors & the sparkle from the quilting too. Makes me want to close up my desk, go home & create!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us! :thumbup:

sue
Attached Thumbnails aa.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-22-2014 at 03:31 AM. Reason: font was too big to be readable
Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 AM

Thank you!! Yes, you really do need to get the book when you can... it is actually so much easier than it looks, & you are in total control of your design. (although the outcome is still a surprise, even to you) It is so much fun!!!!

Thanks again!!
Attached Thumbnails dscn1151.jpg   dscn1156.jpg   dscn1153.jpg  
Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 AM

I love the dragon and the colors are right up my ally!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:06 PM

I love dragons! Convergence quilt pattern is on my bulliten board, screaming to be made.