Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59

Thread: A couple Denim Blocks

  1. #26
    Super Member running1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clinton, OK
    Posts
    1,733
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes... this is it!! Have fun all!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by running1
    Hi again all... If I knew how, I would direct you to another post this last year where folks posted several nifty ideas for using denim... several also posted images with great ideas!
    I'm not sure if this is it or not but I love this one!!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102015-1.htm

  2. #27
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,824
    Blog Entries
    14
    I wanna make a pocket quilt someday!

  3. #28
    Senior Member Grambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Branch, Texas
    Posts
    966
    Did you have trouble getting large enought pieces with straight grain, or did you sew with bias edges. Just curious as I have saved many jeans for a project.

    I love the block with change pocket!!

  4. #29
    Super Member mimiknoxtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Snellville, Ga & Hiawassee
    Posts
    1,987
    Good job. I recently made one for a dog we babysit sometimes. Just used old jeans from sons & grandsons. It went together fast

  5. #30
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    I made a denim quilt a good number of years ago. After many washings the seams all started to frey and pull apart. If I make another I will be serging the edges of all peices before assembling. It was the most favorite quilt in the house and everyone was bummed when it wore out. I have the top still but I don't know if I can save it. Good luck. It is looking great.

  6. #31
    Super Member piepatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,912
    Very unique and creative. I like it !

  7. #32
    Super Member 4girlsmimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,705
    Neat blocks. Haven't made one using the block method. Need to try that. Usually, just sew leg pieces together in long strips. Really like your blocks. May borrow your idea on my next denim quilt. Thanks for sharing.

  8. #33
    redbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Inverness Fl.
    Posts
    28
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have used pockets to make pillows for teens, good place to put remotes and what ever, made a denim quilt for a lady in N.C (she furnished most of the denim) I used pockets, designer labels, ended up to be a very big quilt over queen size, very heavy, would need a fork lift to make the bed hehehe

  9. #34
    Junior Member chatonne40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    217
    Good Idea! Thanks

  10. #35
    Senior Member Prissnboot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    789
    I've got several pair of jeans I plan to make a quilt out of...and also use them for topsy turvy tomato planters! I'll cut the legs off at the knees and hem and gather them and use those as tomato planters. I'll use satin ribbon to gather the legs and tie them with pretty little bows, and put another ribbon around the waist as a belt, with another pretty bow in front...I know, too cutesy but it's MY gardening project, right? And I'm sure the tomatoes will taste just fine! I'm having an A-frame built to support these, and will put a shelf on top of it for my herbs. Am hoping it will happen this weekend....

  11. #36
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grambi
    Did you have trouble getting large enought pieces with straight grain, or did you sew with bias edges. Just curious as I have saved many jeans for a project.

    I love the block with change pocket!!
    Thank you, glad you like the change pocket. I cut 1 leg on the denim and then folded and trimmed the edges like you would with regular fabric. Iíll use some of the larger edges on this quilt and smaller pieces for denim placemats, coasters and maybe mug rugs. Since denim is so much heavier it is rougher on the rotary cutter and I go through blades quicker. You can kind of see in one of the pictures my first attempt at machine quilting (I should have used darker blue thread.) I have a long way to go on getting better at this. Iíll put regular different cotton fabrics behind the denim from my little stash (no batting because denim is heavy & warm enough for FL) Ė the same way you would for any rag quilt. Iíll be QID for the blocks pictured, not the usual ĎXí done on rag quilts because the blocks are bigger.

  12. #37
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor
    Good job. I recently made one for a dog we babysit sometimes. Just used old jeans from sons & grandsons. It went together fast
    Thanks, glad you like it. Iíd love to see a picture of your denim doggie quilt! They are fun to make and the denim is stronger to hold up to the wear and tear of heavier use and more washing that pet quilts need.

  13. #38
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I made a denim quilt a good number of years ago. After many washings the seams all started to frey and pull apart. If I make another I will be serging the edges of all peices before assembling. It was the most favorite quilt in the house and everyone was bummed when it wore out. I have the top still but I don't know if I can save it. Good luck. It is looking great.
    Would love to see a picture of your denim quilt too! There is something so comfortable, pretty and itís warm! No wonder itís a family favorite.

    This one will be a rag quilt (my first rag quilt.) I canít believe there was a time I didnít like rag quilts, love them now.

    Can you patch it up with more denim or is it spread out all over? What if you sewed a patch(es) on? You could rag the edges maybe? Maybe not a good idea, too much time/work involved? Bet youíd get a lot of miles and many more years out of it. I read on a tutorial somewhere that the stitches should be smaller when sewing denim. The weight of the denim must pull harder on the stitches.

  14. #39
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by redbug
    I have used pockets to make pillows for teens, good place to put remotes and what ever, made a denim quilt for a lady in N.C (she furnished most of the denim) I used pockets, designer labels, ended up to be a very big quilt over queen size, very heavy, would need a fork lift to make the bed hehehe
    LOL! This quilt will be a large queen and Iíve been thinking it will be my new weight lifting program when making the bed in the morning LOL!

  15. #40
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    I've got several pair of jeans I plan to make a quilt out of...and also use them for topsy turvy tomato planters! I'll cut the legs off at the knees and hem and gather them and use those as tomato planters. I'll use satin ribbon to gather the legs and tie them with pretty little bows, and put another ribbon around the waist as a belt, with another pretty bow in front...I know, too cutesy but it's MY gardening project, right? And I'm sure the tomatoes will taste just fine! I'm having an A-frame built to support these, and will put a shelf on top of it for my herbs. Am hoping it will happen this weekend....
    WOW! Sounds cute!!! Please post a picture of these. If only I could get tomatoes to grow Iíd ask you for the pattern. Nothing like home grown tomatoes.

  16. #41
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4girlsmimi
    Neat blocks. Haven't made one using the block method. Need to try that. Usually, just sew leg pieces together in long strips. Really like your blocks. May borrow your idea on my next denim quilt. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad you like the blocks. The long strips sound pretty. Have you posted a picture on QB?

  17. #42
    Super Member rwquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the west that I love!
    Posts
    3,679
    Blog Entries
    4
    I love that you're using pockets and such! Clever! I have a bunch of jeans waiting to be cut and stitched! Good luck! Your DH will love it!!!

  18. #43
    Senior Member Rose Cactus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Marshall, N.C.
    Posts
    606
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cute keep posting pictures. Love to watch it grow.

  19. #44
    Super Member Grama Lehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Posts
    5,037
    Hmmmmm :roll: Never thought about making denim blocks like that!! How would you feel if I borrowed your clever plan? 8-)

  20. #45
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Hmmmmm :roll: Never thought about making denim blocks like that!! How would you feel if I borrowed your clever plan? 8-)
    I'm glad you like them. Feel free, please post a picture when you are finished. :-P

  21. #46

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    115
    I love it! Did you make up your own pattern?

  22. #47

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    K.C. MO
    Posts
    303
    Wonderful idea! It looks so good.

  23. #48
    Super Member dixiebelle162002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    2,370
    Blog Entries
    2
    very nice

  24. #49
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,421
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vharris
    I love it! Did you make up your own pattern?
    Thank you vharris. Yes, I thought those cute little change pockets were just too cute not to put into a denim quilt. Iíve been working on a crumb quilt and so it made sense to get the pockets in this way.

  25. #50
    Super Member laalaaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Woodstock, GA USA
    Posts
    1,254
    Love it! I have wanted to do a denim quilt but haven't gotten around to collecting fabrics for it yet. Great job :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.