Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Curbside Shopping

Last summer I stopped at a rummage sale and saw two brown paper shopping bags on a table full of fabric. The gentleman having the sale saw me looking thru them and told me he was a fabric salesman. :D All samples for quilt stores. I bought the bags 4.00 each.(very heavy) He then gave me his card and stated he had a bunch more. So I went back and back and back. My mom has made tons of purses and I have made many quilts. :-P Yours were free better yet. Have fun with them. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Great FIND!

I love the title "curbside shopping" :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyCakes
    Last summer I stopped at a rummage sale and saw two brown paper shopping bags on a table full of fabric. The gentleman having the sale saw me looking thru them and told me he was a fabric salesman. :D All samples for quilt stores. I bought the bags 4.00 each.(very heavy) He then gave me his card and stated he had a bunch more. So I went back and back and back. My mom has made tons of purses and I have made many quilts. :-P Yours were free better yet. Have fun with them. :thumbup:
    Now that's a great find at a great price!

Blog Entries
    No curbside shopping where I live. Several homes share a small round dumpster that's on the service road at the end of the back yard. I'd have to literally crawl into a dumpster to see what's there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky you!

Great find! I just picked up a free wrought iron patio set painted it recovered the cushions for under $7.00 looks great and can't beat the price. Have fun with your find

Blog Entries
    That is soo great!!! It never ceases to amaze me what people will throw out!!!

My very first experience of curbside shopping was about 25 years ago. My SIL mom made stick horses and always needed broom handles for the "stick" . The three of us were on our way to another destination and my SIL stopped abruptly at a pile of trash!!! She told me to jump out and grab these old mops and brooms!! I jumped out and grabbed them and off we went!! When we arrived at her moms she showed me the stick horse and then it all made sense!!! I have a daughter who is 26 and her kids are still playing with the stick horse!!! It was soo much fun!!!

Great find!!! This has my mind racing now...will have to check out stpores for their old books lol cheryl :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Your stick story made me laugh. It also called to mind an incident with an old friend of mine who is a nun. She was driving along the street in August and spotted several snow shovels that someone was throwing. Since our church custodian was always breaking them, she decided to grab them. At that moment the owner came out and was startled to see a nun loading snow shovels into her car in August. He asked, "What on earth are you going to do with those now?" She smiled and said, "Well, you've heard the saying "cold day in hell? I'm saving these for a few folks I know who are going to a place where they might need these."

Terrifi find. Use it well!!

WOW! That is just what I loved hearing. A couple of months ago I too aquired fabric sample bookS, yes I said books. About 150 or so. Quilt tops - for the needy who knows....

PaperPrinces thank you about the staple remover, I hope I have the strength in me to work it.

Blog Entries
    150???? YIKES!!!

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I would love to find something like that! You were lucky and helped to not fill up the landfill!

I would have done the same, but my hubby would probably have disowned me.LOL Good find and great fabric.

OOOO....What a treasure find! Love those kind of finds. The books offer a lot of fun different fabrics for all kinds of projects. Placemats, scrappy quilts, handbags, etc. Have fun.
    Brenda

My husband does it all the time. Great find!

Good for you! I would have grabbed it too!

Blog Entries
    When you use these fabrics -- and many of them are heavier -- do you use batting to quilt purses?

Great recycling. I have a question. How do you clean fabric from these books? I have many, but have not used them because of cleaning. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boni53
    Great recycling. I have a question. How do you clean fabric from these books? I have many, but have not used them because of cleaning. Thanks for your help.
    If I'm using them for any kind of quilt, I cut off the cardboard with pinking shears and toss them into the washing machine on gentle cycle. Then it all gets hung up outside on my clothesline. I figure if it can't take a washing machine, what good is it? BTW, I am someone who laughs at those "Dry Clean Only" tags! Haven't had a problem yet.

Blog Entries
    Our quilting group for 8 years used bunches of fabric samples from books like those. Mostly we made lap quilts to be donated to Seniors at the nursing homes, then also some tote bags. We washed almost everything before we sent it out, and were amazed that it all came out so well- It just wasn't a problem! Have lots of fun with your stuff!

I like to dumpster dive and find free treasures!!!!

Great find. I used to live in Austin where recycling was cool way back when. We knew to cruise the better neighborhoods on "bulky trash day" for treasures! Folks who put things out are always glad to see them reused. I scored some gorgeous custom window blinds that way.

About the samples...the first quilt my Mother made was a log cabin and many of the fabrics came from sample books for dressmaking fabric. My aunt worked at a fabric wholesale house and gave her sample books...lots of coordinated prints.

Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    No curbside shopping where I live. Several homes share a small round dumpster that's on the service road at the end of the back yard. I'd have to literally crawl into a dumpster to see what's there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I lived in an apartment that had dumpsters, people would leave insteresting stuff out so people could take it if they wanted. It was great fun when people would move out, everyone would check out the area outside the dumpster. As long as it was kept neat no body complained about it being junky.

ohhh good for you,,, and these are "vintage" prints....
    i worked in the home dec section of a local fabric store for years.... the owner was "throwing" out all the old books... and said... if you want them... their yours... we are talking 20 or more and over the years... i can't imagine... it's a lot of work getting hem cut out, but they do make wonderful "patchwork " bags" and many other things... enjoy!!!!

How cool ! these are great vintage prints ! Have fun with them :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast