Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
denim quilts for grand kids >

denim quilts for grand kids

denim quilts for grand kids

Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 PM

Great looking quilts. Great looking grandkids, too! Did you use upholstery thread or polyester or cotton for piecing the blocks? What thread for quilting? Toying with the idea of making a few denim quilts but unsure of some of the details.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The other colors in the quilt, are those a colored denim or a very heavy cotton? Love the quilts!! I have a lot of denim I've cut the seams but saved and kept the pockets attached. I do save the part of the front pockets attached also.
it is all denim. I had several pairs of colored jeans, lost weight and planned never to regain it, so no saving those jeans! one of the fabrics is a mottled gray/white, that was actually one of my granddaughter's jeans and had fun using it in her quilt and her cousin's too.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cornerstone quilter View Post
Great looking quilts. Great looking grandkids, too! Did you use upholstery thread or polyester or cotton for piecing the blocks? What thread for quilting? Toying with the idea of making a few denim quilts but unsure of some of the details.
no upholstery thread, regular cotton thread for the top, Connecting Threads, use it all the time for all my piecing. The thread in my bobbin is Superior Threads Bottom Line ... I pretty much use that exclusively in my bobbin unless I do not have a color that I want or need and will succumb to using cotton thread in the bobbin.

I actually find making denim quilts to be so very easy. I make sure that none of my seams match up so that they are not extra bulky for sewing together or quilting. I consider myself to be an improvisational quilter, no patterns, just wing it on my design wall and when it looks good, wham I'm done.

but will admit that if they get to be on the large side they are heavy.