Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming? >

Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming?

Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:09 AM

Default Do You Think This Border is Overwhelming?

I finished this top today. It is called Blackford's Beauty and is destined for my eldest DD's queen sized bed. Because of the piping on either side of the narrow border, this quilt is spectacularly flawed. I am satisfied with the piecing (which took me over a year to do ... just a bit every evening), but I could not get the piping to cooperate ... need I say that I will not be putting piping on any more quilts?

As I auditioned fabrics from my stash, the one I chose for the border seemed to be perfect; now that it is attached, however, it seems to jump out and annoy me. Although I'm not changing anything about this quilt (except for quilting and binding, I am done!) but I am attaching a not-very-good picture and would like to know what you think, in particular about the border. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails july-19-2013.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM

It looks to heavy to me and is over whelming the lovely stars.
I think it needs a paler colour to blend with the rest.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

yep I agree a little too much colour
try a solid... like the inner border shows....
Old 07-19-2013, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Diane007 View Post
yep I agree a little too much colour
try a solid... like the inner border shows....
I agree with both of the above comments - try for a darker, plain border. Perhaps a solid, or at least something that reads as a solid. I like the red that's in a few of the stars.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Such beautiful blocks!! But yes, the border seems to overwhelm. And I adore purple, but I don't think there is enough in the blocks to have made the inner border purple IMHO.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM

It is very bold, but yet adds a next texture of sorts to your top. If you have the time and patience, walk away from it for a couple of days, revisit the top and make your final decision. The very fact that you are questioning it though, makes me think that you are not pleased.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Your star blocks are beautiful. Maybe you'll like it better after you put it away for a while. You did a good job on it. BrendaK
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
It is very bold, but yet adds a next texture of sorts to your top. If you have the time and patience, walk away from it for a couple of days, revisit the top and make your final decision. The very fact that you are questioning it though, makes me think that you are not pleased.
No, not entirely pleased. However, it looks better in reality than it does in the picture. For example, the lavender border complements the sashing, but you cannot see that in the picture. I expect a visit from my daughters this weekend and the one who is getting the quilt will tell me what she thinks and I'll go from there. Removing stitches from a seam that has piping in there is a major undertaking so I'm not anxious to do that.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Maybe it's just me, I like it. Yes the border does stand out, but those colorful stars keep drawing me back to them. Then again blue is my favorite color.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 AM

There is the option of trimming that outer boarder down to a skinny width , and adding an additional lighter wider outer border. Try auditioning a lighter boarder by laying a piece down enough to show a very skinny slice of the outer boarder you have now.