Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone work on quilting frame?

Hi,
    I am working on the old fashioned quilting frame that hangs from the ceiling. I just started the stitching. I'd like to ask some questions to anyone that works like this. I'll attach a picture of it. No laughing please! :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    No reason to laugh! What are your questions?

I recall, as a little girl, my Mother usinf a similar rig but it set on the backs of chairs rather than hanging from the ceiling. It would fill most of the living room.Do you have hooks in the ceiling? I also recall mom having a frame that had sharp tacks or brads that would hold the quilt in place. She done a lot of tying of quilts.

I am so glad you asked these questions. I am going to follow the thread and learn right along with you.

Nope, but you will get lots of help here from those that do.

Blog Entries
    No laughing from me! I'm interested! How do you quilt the middle?

Blog Entries
    I have heard of these types of frames but never seen one either . THANKS for posting the pic :thumbup:

I also am curious, how do you quilt the center ?

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I believe that you start at the outside and as you are done quilting the outer edge, you roll the board and the quilt rolls around the board. That brings the next area to be quilted close to the outside.

I was browsing the internet tonight and happened to find the following website on how to make a PVC quilt frame, light weight and easily movable. Just thought I would share with you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4928734_make...ing-frame.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I believe that you start at the outside and as you are done quilting the outer edge, you roll the board and the quilt rolls around the board. That brings the next area to be quilted close to the outside.
    Oh, the boards looked like they were attached to me. If that's the case wouldn't it be too much bulk to reach over after a while or am I overthinking this?

Banned
    This is how I use to tie all my quilts before I started to machine quilt them. It is really simple to make I used 1 x 4's 12 feet long and I covered them with leftover batting that I stapled right to the board. Then I used C clamps to hold the 4 boards together once I had my sandwich tacked to it. I put mine on the back of four dining room chairs in the middle of my family room. And yes you start on the outer edge and work toward the center rolling the two sides inward. The quilt rolls around the board. A permanent setup can be attached to cables or rope and raised to store over a bed or wherever. They are quick and easy to use especially if you get a couple working on it at the same time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candlequilter
    This is how I use to tie all my quilts before I started to machine quilt them. It is really simple to make I used 1 x 4's 12 feet long and I covered them with leftover batting that I stapled right to the board. Then I used C clamps to hold the 4 boards together once I had my sandwich tacked to it. I put mine on the back of four dining room chairs in the middle of my family room. And yes you start on the outer edge and work toward the center rolling the two sides inward. The quilt rolls around the board. A permanent setup can be attached to cables or rope and raised to store over a bed or wherever. They are quick and easy to use especially if you get a couple working on it at the same time.
    Ok, now I can picture it but doesn't the bulk of the quilt rolled up hinder your reach after a while or is it not that much bulk?

My mom has a similar quilt frame. But has free standing legs for hers.
    No the bulk is not that large. As you keep it fairly tight as you roll the ends. Usually the the longer end. Not the sides.

I love that quilt! And, it seems it would be really easy to have a quilting bee or whatever it's called, where a bunch of people gather around the same quilt and work on it. :D

My dad said his mom had a frame that hung from the ceiling. I never quite understood...now I do!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I have one - but have never used it - it belonged to my MIL - I did watch her use it. What are your questions? Hers had holes on both ends of the long side bars and the short side bars. She just put in bolts (?) in the holes as she rolled it up.

Blog Entries
    I just looked at your picture again and if you have the quilt/back/batting pinned or fastened to all four sides - it won't work. You should only have the two long sides fastened. Leave the two short rows free - then put some temporary strips of fabric fastened to the rails to keep the sides taut while quilting. As you roll it up, then you re-position the sides. HTH

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu
    I just looked at your picture again and if you have the quilt/back/batting pinned or fastened to all four sides - it won't work. You should only have the two long sides fastened. Leave the two short rows free - then put some temporary strips of fabric fastened to the rails to keep the sides taut while quilting. As you roll it up, then you re-position the sides. HTH
    You need to have the quilt/batting/back pinned or fastened to all four sides to keep it taunt. I used thumb tacks and as I moved or rolled the ends I would remove the tack on each side as I got to it.

a friend yrsss ago did her quilting this way...the frame hung over her bed in her Bedroom...she was the most neatest quilter..looked like machine stitches..

I have 5-6 different size frames similar. Mine have round poles and they sit on legs of varying types. But same process. Roll as you go. Bulk is not bad. We get together a bunch of ladies from church every now and then and quilt on quilts. We call our group "Threads of Prayer" and have great get togethers talking, eating and laughing alot. We put on labels "Quilted with love, prayers and a few imperfections". My grandmother quilted from one suspended from ceiling at her church for almost 50 years. I love to still work the old fashioned way and get away from machine quilting now and then.

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    The quilt you're working on is pretty. So are the stained glass items in the background. Did you do them, too?

very neat they used to do it that way in the old days.

That's the way my Grandmother quilted. After the quilt is sandwiched and the top is attached to one of the boards and the bottom is attached to the opposite board, the sides are rolled up to a comfortable working distance between the rolls. This should be the center of your quilt showing. Then you quilt from the center out in all four directions. Each side is unrolled as necessary to quilt.
    If you have chairs, only two boards are needed for attaching the top and bottom of quilt. The chairs are used to rest these two boards on. If suspended from the ceiling, then you need 4 boards, 2 to rest the other two on (by clamping with C clamps or any other means of immobilizing them.) These two side board had holes every couple inches and my grandmother used a peg to hold them in place.
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    I was browsing the internet tonight and happened to find the following website on how to make a PVC quilt frame, light weight and easily movable. Just thought I would share with you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4928734_make...ing-frame.html
    Do you know anyone who has used these kinds before? I am making the Farmer's Wife Sampler all by hand and am curious about this as I have never hand pieced muchless hand quilted before but don't have the budget to put a ton of money into a quilting frame. This looks like it might be in the price range and DH is very handy so he would be able to make it for me.

I have one of the PVC frames but I never use it. It doesn't take up much room but it is too big for my small house. I just use a lap hoop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast