Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Doggie Quilt made from scraps >

Doggie Quilt made from scraps

Doggie Quilt made from scraps

Old 02-26-2023, 05:25 AM

Default Doggie Quilt made from scraps

Well, 2nd quilt completed for the year which probably doesn't say much for some of your quilters that can whip them out in a much shorter time but I was also putting other UFOs together from blocks to flimsy in between too.

This quilt matches in colors to her owner's quilt I made a number of years ago. I went searching thru my orphan blocks and found 8 Smith Mtn blocks from Bonnie Hunter's pattern plus cuts to make another one of the 2 blocks in that pattern plus they were in the colors I needed. How lucky can that be? Anyway, then searched thru my cutoffs, those triangles that get cut off when putting borders and sashings together using a diaganol stitching. Pulled them out. Went to my rod where I keep strips I'd cut too many of for other quilts and sure enough found a cream strip that would work. The only yardage I had to cut from was for the striped sashing as the original Smith Mtn quilt had it and the border. I found a navy bed flat sheet at the local thrift shop and since this quilt will be washed numerous times, thought that was the perfect backing.

Thought I was going to quilt it using an E2E but those blocks kept telling not to so went searching thru my folders of blocks and found 2 that worked for me. Of course the piano keys are my go to for borders as well as the slinky pattern for wider sashings. And then of course another go to pattern......simple circles finished it. I got the binding stitched on yesterday, took photos and now it's in a bag heading for the UPS office on Monday. It's going to Florida and it's their rainy season so if the box gets damaged, hopefully the quilt will stay dry. I also send a coupld color catcher sheets with instructions how to use them with every quilt I gift to others.

Old 02-26-2023, 05:27 AM

As usual, couldn't get the photos to show up so will try again as I had to downsize them to fit this site.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0001-519x640-.jpg   dsc_0002-425x640-.jpg   dsc_0005-522x640-.jpg   dsc_0006-640x419-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2023, 06:38 AM

Even though I am a dog lover, I don't think I would use this beautiful quilt on the floor, but to each his own. Your colors, pattern and quilting are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:56 AM

Beautiful use of your scraps! The pattern and your work are amazing.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
Even though I am a dog lover, I don't think I would use this beautiful quilt on the floor, but to each his own. Your colors, pattern and quilting are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
I was thinking that my dog quilts aren't nearly that fancy! Someone has some lucky dogs!
Old 02-26-2023, 09:58 AM

I have dogs. I love my dogs. But this beautiful quilt, I would not share with my dogs !!! Lovely quilt.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:26 PM

Snooze....it's beautiful! A bit sad though that all that incredible quilting you've done is almost invisible on the front-at least in the pictures on my screen. That back side looks just as pretty as the front.
You are very clever putting all those spare parts together and making them all play so well with each other! It's very pretty.
Lucky doggie.

Old 02-26-2023, 04:36 PM

For you dog and cat lovers, my order of the day was to use up my scraps, orphan blocks and cut offs anyway possible. This doggie quilt just came up all of a sudden and it worked perfectly to match with colors from her owner's quilt I made a number of years ago. Somehow I think the dog will appreciate this quilt much more than some humans as I've heard how they use it to cover their cars, to put on the floor while working on their cars, etc. So I think this quilt will go to better use for a little dog that was dumped at an animal shelter and found a new home.

Thank you for all your nice compliments as I had fun quilting this one too. I like making the back look just as good as the front when I can. Also, I used a used bed sheet for the backing as it would be washed lots of times I'm sure.