Doll Quilt Quiz >

Doll Quilt Quiz

Doll Quilt Quiz

Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Muv

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Yes it does! Trying to connect 2 and 3
Is Scrap4evr a descendent?
Well this is all getting too cryptic for words and I can't give you clues if I can't be sure you are on the right track! What do you think is the answer to the second question?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM

So Ron Dutton makes medals based on ancient buttons? And they are in the Museum in town. Dutton is close to Button.... Am I getting close?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Muv

Hello Cwessel - I'd never heard of Ron Dutton until I read your post and looked him up. Surprising where google can take you!

It's my bedtime, so I am going to leave you all to mull it over, but I am going to leave you with a big fat hint. Try googling two words, the name of the town and what is sewn to the quilt, and see what you come up with....

Good night! All will be revealed tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Muv

Good morning everyone, it is time to announce the winners!

I sent the answers to my partner Scrap4evr early yesterday so she wasn't in suspense for too long. Her first guess was Birmingham, which was amazing, because she was only 15 miles wide of the mark, and had found out about the manufacture of buttons and pens there!

Oksewglad and Vintagemotif have both sent me PMs with the correct answers.

The town is Wolverhampton. The motto on the coat of arms used to fascinate me when I was a kid. I'd look around me at a big scruffy town and wonder... The factory sunset scene is based on a view down a particular street that I would see on my way home from school on the bus.

The button represents Button Gwinnett, who lived in Wolverhampton as a young man and married there. He later emigrated to America, and signed the Declaration of Independence. This is represented by the quill.

I asked Chele to give me Scrap4evr as a partner because she lives in Georgia. Button Gwinnett was one of the signatories for Georgia, and he was Governor of Georgia for a short time before his death in 1777.

So the prize of an imaginary weekend in Wolverhampton is shared by Oksewglad and Vintagemotif. Oksewglad can then head off north and visit Huddersfield.

And so nobody feels left out, here is an interesting video to watch http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12499456

I hope you have all had fun with the quiz!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Muv, it was loads of fun! You did a beautiful job on my quilt. The 3D quill and a real button add so much interest. I will have to scrapbook this story for my daughters' future reference.

Not having grown up in Georgia, I was unaware of the role of Button Gwinnett, but I have been to the Gwinnett convention center in Gwinnett county (part of Atlanta) several times. I have posted the quilt I sent you on the doll swap thread and I think it ties in beautifully. Sun Bonnet Sue (American pioneer) dressed as Scarlette O'Hara (Atlanta Georgia) who was portrayed by a British actress, Vivian Leigh.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Another odd coincindence is revealed in the video. Thanks Muv for a fun trip! What a great little story you have to share with your daughter, Scrap4evr.