Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Done! thanks for all the advice

Finally finished with quilt #3. I will try to post my first two quilts later today.
    Thanks everyone for the binding advice. I finally took a hodgepodge of everyones ideas and finished it up.

I couldn't catch anyone to hold it up for me so I threw it on my King bed for the pic. It's a twin, that's why it doesn't hang over the edge ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Love the quilt and the borders really look good. A job well done:)

I love those gentle shades of grey! Beautiful!

LOVE that one. Don't think I've seen grey and navy before!

lol Actually I thought they were all shades of blue. But they do read Gray in these pics.

Blog Entries
    I really like it, especially the tiny little border strip which seems to set off the bigger border. Great job!

I am teaching myself to quilt (with your help). I have learned something (at least one thing) new with each quilt. My lesson learned on this one was "square ALL your blocks" even the tiny 3 1/2 " ones. I didn't square them, so when I got the the 9 1/2" blocks I had to trim them to 9 1/4 to make them work, then my points didn't line up well. *sigh*

Beautiful work, colors worked out good

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    I really like it, especially the tiny little border strip which seems to set off the bigger border. Great job!
    I learned how to do that tiny border and the inner flange by searching through the tutorials here. So thanks to all of you for the great ideas and instruction. I have been very impressed with the volume of knowledge here.

Blog Entries
    My most favorite color - blue! My kitchen is blue and grey and this quilt would be a perfect complement for it! :lol:

Power Poster
    It looks great! I love your color combination!
    Nice job!

Blog Entries
    That turned out really great. The borders are a perfect addition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chereth
    I am teaching myself to quilt (with your help). I have learned something (at least one thing) new with each quilt. My lesson learned on this one was "square ALL your blocks" even the tiny 3 1/2 " ones. I didn't square them, so when I got the the 9 1/2" blocks I had to trim them to 9 1/4 to make them work, then my points didn't line up well. *sigh*
    I know what you mean, Chereth. When I started quilting, I thought once you made a square, that was it. That was what you had to work with, good or bad. Now I'm working on a quilt with dozens of 2-1/2" HST's (half square triangles). I couldn't believe I had to square up each one, but what a difference it makes!

Yeaaa! a convert to squaring everything as you go! It gets easier and like second nature. And you'll soon see how your joined blocks will come in almost bang on the expected sizes. And oh, how the points line up just right!

You've done a really great job ... love your very thin light first border. And is that a piping insert with the binding? Could you please show me a close up at a corner, perhaps? I'm thinking of using it in my OBW and would appreciate a look-see! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbonary
    I know what you mean, Chereth. When I started quilting, I thought once you made a square, that was it. That was what you had to work with, good or bad. Now I'm working on a quilt with dozens of 2-1/2" HST's (half square triangles). I couldn't believe I had to square up each one, but what a difference it makes!
    :thumbup:
    I make them a little larger and then trim. It's much easier to trim a 3" HST nice and square than a 2-1/2" wonky HST ... almost impossible!
    :thumbup:

Excellent quilt! Serene colors! LOVE grey and blue (or anything)! Narrow borders are perfect. Don't judge yourself so harshly. I'd love it.

That is so pretty. You did a great job on all those triangles. I love the colors. That border fabric is beautiful. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Love it!

Kat

sorry for second post-accident
    Kat

Beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    terrific pattern and the fabric looks so soft and smooth.

very pretty! :thumbup:

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i like those calm colors--not too bright--in fact, it says i'm here to keep you warm!! nice job & thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    You've done a really great job ... love your very thin light first border. And is that a piping insert with the binding? Could you please show me a close up at a corner, perhaps? I'm thinking of using it in my OBW and would appreciate a look-see! Thanks!!
    I can't find the tut again and I don't know how to post the link anyway, so I'll just show you.

the dark blue strip is 1 3/4 wide, the light strip is 1 1/2 wide. sew enough strips together to go around the quilt. Press and fold in half leaving a tiny bit of dark showing on the light side.

Place the light side face down on the back of the quilt and sew around. then flip to the front side and SITD holding corners so they match up in a neat 45
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    quite lovely. good job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast