Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dresden & Question

Blog Entries
    Here is my first attempt at both a dresden plate and 'appliquing' the center circle on. I have a question. I'm just learning to use the satin stitch on my machine. How do I keep my stitches even when it won't feed by itself? It feeds just fine when I go in a straight line, but of course this is a circle. ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images

np3
    Blog Entries
    DId you have the feed dogs down?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by np3
    No. Am I supposed to?

I think getting your stitches even on a circle is just one more of those things that get easier with practice.

Beautiful dresden plate

Your fabrics are so beautiful. If it were mine I would sew them down by hand.....

Nice dresden plate just keep practice it comes easy.

I agree it takes practice. I don't use the satin stitck, not sure what it is called but it is lik a zig zag but with more space between stitches. Maybe a blanket stitch? Not sure. I did the Dresden plate myself for a queen sized bed. Took me 3 years to do the hand quilting. Keep on practicing,it will come to you. Yes, put your feet down!

Blog Entries
    I forgot another question...obviously I did the stitching in white, so I could see it. If I were practiced enough and doing this for an actual quilt, what color would I do the satin stich in?

I put my machine on needle down,whenever I do circles, and stop often...

I would have used something more that would blend in and not be so obvious.

Not bad at all for a first dresden.Practice makes perfect.

I absolutely love your Dresden! Great fabrics! Does your machine have a blanket stitch you can mess with? I practice on scrap fabric and find a setting that works with what I'm sewing down. Otherwise, maybe choose a clear thread or something that blends in. Remember, in most cases, no one will get that close to inspect your stitches.

You might want to try shortening your stitches.I know when I use my zigzag I have to go slow and pay attention to the curves in order to keep them in line...I can't remember if you stop your stitch on the outside or inside right before you make your turn..you could try that on a scrap to see..hoped that helped..

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I think I would do mine by hand also. A really tiny stitch in a like color won't even show.
    Your fabrics are fabulous!! What a nice modern look to an old favorite :D

I just thought of something. Do you have any yo-yo makers??
    They have all different sizes and you can do great circles then instead of gathering up the threads all the way just do a little. You would have perfect circles already turned under then you could attach to your plates, then hand sew them on. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    I wondered about yo-yo makers when someone else mentioned that's what they do for the centers. I've never even made a yo-yo before. I might have to look into that. Can they be any size?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Clover makes several sizes and they are so much easier than trying to make your own out of cardboard, mylar etc. Right at the moment I can't remember the sizes. I have a miserable cold :(
    But I wanted to help :)

What concerns me is that you have such gorgeous plates I would hate to see the centers hurt the beauty. Circles can be very challenging!!

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    No. Am I supposed to?
    I never put the feed dogs down when I do that stitch. It looks like a zig zag to me. When I use that stitch to applique, I decrease the width and length of the stitch. Go slow around the curves. Use a thread that blends in with the fabric.

Missouri Quilt Co Video uses a yo-yo process for the center circle its fun and easy

I think you need to use a stabilizer behind the circles. you can tear if off later. usually need to loosen the top tension a little for good, close,satin-stitch. use a finer thread on the bottom. use needle-down.stop,(needle down on inside)pivot just a hair,stitch,pivot, etc. I might have this mixed up-maybe it is needle down on outside-try both ways)
    do this often. good satin stitch should have a tiny showing of the top color thread "wrapped around" to show a bit on the underside. BLANKET stitch would be easier. some machines need to have it reversed to look right. still need to stop, pivot, etc. Dresden plates are always smashing !
    check you machine book for suggestions also.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    No. Am I supposed to?
    I think np3 meant needle down. Feed dogs down is usually for free motion quilting.

You might want to check these videos on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7eMGCnv8g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlPEC...eature=related

Nice Dresden plate. Love the fabrics. :D

another suggestion--if you are trying to applique' a raw edge, it is easier to manage if you have a turned-under edge to work with. you can even baste it on to hold in place. use the method of sewing right sides together with interfacing (dryer sheet). sew your circle carefully, little stitches. cut around 1/4" & clip curves. slit dryer sheet in middle, turn all to outside,carefully, with wooden skewer or something blunt. get a good circle, press. applique'. you could use a blind stitch here or satin-stitch so your needle on the outside just drops off the fabric. sorry this is so wordy, can't think of how to shorten it. preparation is half the battle with circles.
    use color to match circles or contrasting. matching hides any imperfections of stitching. you need close stitches.

Hey ! that video is great ! picture is worth a thousand words !! and it is the OUTSIDE of the circle for needle down.
    thanks for suggesting this video. we all can learn more.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the links, EasyPeezy. The first one was really helpful for me to understand the whole - stitch and pivot idea.

I have seen an attachment on a TV show that centers the fabric so the needle stays the same distance from the center of the circle and keeps the edge nice and clean. I don't remember what it's called, but maybe an internet search would turn it up.

Yep, here is one:

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/j-200-024-109.php

Darren

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast