Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dresden Table Topper

Well, I decided to try another dresden plate. I still had problems with my center circle but it came out better than the last one. I'm going to use this as a table topper. I have a question: When I quilt this, do I quilt over the plate blades and circle, or just quilt around the plate?

Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous! The purple center is a great choice! Really makes the thing pop. I would quilt a spiral motif in the center, quilt a quarter inch inside the seams of each blade and then stipple the background or maybe just outline the leaves. No marking that way! :lol: But it is your quilt! Any way you decide to quilt it will look wonderful with such a pretty top to start out with!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt. I see nothing wrong with it. Quilt it as you see fit. My quilts always tell me how they want to be quilted.

Oh i like it very nice work

Oh I do like that!!!!!

Very nice, you did a great job, makes me feel guilty of my dresden top that is still waiting to be quilted :oops:

I really like it
    I've never attempted a Dresden plate. Maybe someday....sigh......

You did a great job!!

I have 12 dresden plate blocks that I've made and I was unsure what I wanted to do with them.

Table toppers are a great idea!!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    I really like this. I like the way you didn't repeat the fabrics in a definite pattern around the plate. I like the randomness of it.

This is stunning....what a eye for colors. I love this pattern....thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Ohhhhhhhh Cissy, That is beautiful. Great work girl :D

Okay, Cissy--that is just gorgeous!! I love the fabrics-what line are they?? I agree with Mary-I love the randomness of your layout, too. Simpy smashing, my dear :D

How to quilt it. Hmmm....this is my weakness. I always freeze up at this point. I downloaded your picture and noticed that you used a blanket stitch to applique your dresden plates. So, to quilt it, I would just quilt in the ditch between each wedge. Also quilt around the center circle--not in the ditch, but just a tiny bit away from it (so it does not catch your blanket stitch. In the center I think Patsy's mom's suggestion of a spiral is a good one. I would quilt very close to--but not in the ditch-around the whole plate too. Then I would stipple the background. Like I said-this is my weakness. I am sure that others will have much better suggestions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    Gorgeous! The purple center is a great choice! Really makes the thing pop. I would quilt a spiral motif in the center, quilt a quarter inch inside the seams of each blade and then stipple the background or maybe just outline the leaves. No marking that way! :lol: But it is your quilt! Any way you decide to quilt it will look wonderful with such a pretty top to start out with!
    Thank you. I really like your quilting ideas. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Carol W
    You did a great job!!

I have 12 dresden plate blocks that I've made and I was unsure what I wanted to do with them.

Table toppers are a great idea!!
    Thank you, Carol. They would make great gifts. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Okay, Cissy--that is just gorgeous!! I love the fabrics-what line are they?? I agree with Mary-I love the randomness of your layout, too. Simpy smashing, my dear :D

How to quilt it. Hmmm....this is my weakness. I always freeze up at this point. I downloaded your picture and noticed that you used a blanket stitch to applique your dresden plates. So, to quilt it, I would just quilt in the ditch between each wedge. Also quilt around the center circle--not in the ditch, but just a tiny bit away from it (so it does not catch your blanket stitch. In the center I think Patsy's mom's suggestion of a spiral is a good one. I would quilt very close to--but not in the ditch-around the whole plate too. Then I would stipple the background. Like I said-this is my weakness. I am sure that others will have much better suggestions!!!
    Thank you, Marcia. :D Most of the fabrics are from moda; pumpkins gone wild. I'm not sure what the others are. I don't usually go for such bold fabrics, but these really caught my eye.

Thanks for the nice compliments, everyone! :D

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! I've always like Dresden plates. Right now I'm working on re-doing some I bought on eBay. The piecing wasn't very accurate so they don't lay flat. But I did get a lot of what I think is vintage fabric. I'm having so much fun with the hand piecing that I got a Dresden template so I can do another project. Never thought I'd be that crazy about hand piecing but I find it's a good portable project to have on hand. Will come in handy when I visit with my daughter for a week after her baby is born.

Love the colors good for the fall..not sure what to say about the quilting....good luck on your choice!

Great table topper - love the colors.

I love the colors you chose! :) Very nice Cissy! :)

I like it. A lot. The colors look great and fallish. You could try quilting down the center of each blade of the plate (like some log cabins are done). The spiral in the center would be very interesting and unexpected. Good job and good luck.

That is one pretty table topper. Looks great, love the colors.

I love your dresden plate. The colors are the greatest. What a great job.

Very pretty and good job on it too!

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    I really like it
    I've never attempted a Dresden plate. Maybe someday....sigh......
    Don't wait to do Dresden plate. Go to youtube for Missouri Star quilt company and Jenny shows you how and you will kick yourself for not doing one sooner!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast