Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Easy Street >

Easy Street

Easy Street

Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Default Bound and Labeled!

First, thank you so much for the wonderful comments, both posted and sent privately! Wow, you folks know how to make me feel good. I don't know why I don't like to show my work, but I realize that if everyone was holding back, the pictures forum would be pretty skimpy!

This was the 2012 Quiltville mystery; the 2013 one will start before too long. Designer Bonnie Hunter gives more information and patterns for free than most published books do. Her website (www.quiltville.com) is really something to browse when you have a good chunk of time. Having never been a groupie as a teenager, I find that I am pretty much one now, lol.

Fabric selection - the colors Bonnie worked with for this were lime green, purple, grey... Not me! There is very little that is bright in my stash - and Bonnie really encourages use of your scraps and stash for her quilts. Red seems to be my current favorite color, and I love how it looks with brown. My jumping off point for this was a fat eigth bundle I had of "Collection for a Cause: Friendship" (http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_col...friendship.pdf). Much as I loved some of them, I think some are AWFUL! That's okay, when you're working with a Quiltville pattern, you're going to cut some pieces pretty small, so it's all good.

Then I started pulling from my stash - reds, browns, bits of aqua that I had. My neutrals are small print tone on tone. I honestly don't know how many different fabrics I used. In the end, I think this quilt (which finishes at around 100" square) has something like 2,400 pieces.

Most of Bonnie's mystery patterns are pulled after several months, and that is the case with this one, too. It will be included in her next book, which I think will come out early next spring. Take a look at the free patterns she offers on her website; you will be amazed by the detailed instructions and number of pictures she provides. This not only makes her patterns do-able, it makes her books more than worth their price.

Last, the fabrics for her next mystery will be posted at the end of October, with the first clue coming out in late November. One clue is revealed each week. Some folks, who must not work outside the home, will be able to be done with each clue before the next one comes out. Me, not so much - but I keep plugging away, and it's done in two or three months.

Again, thank you for your encouragement. It really means a lot.
Attached Thumbnails finished.jpg   finished-close-up.jpg   es-label.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Wow, wow, wow!!! I hope you enter this in a quilt show! My jaw has dropped and I am drooling In the first photo you posted, I noticed a light aqua blue mixed in with the other neutrals that really added a lot of movement to the quilt. I have not read the 11 pages of comments, but I wonder if anyone else mentioned that. Your color choices are perfect! Take a bow!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:23 PM

beautiful quilt u did a great job.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:18 PM

It is beautiful!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM

I love the colors!!!! Great job!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM

I love the fabrics you chose. I am disappointed in my fabric choices for mine. I love Bonnie Hunter's Patterns but I have shied away from the Mystery Quilt. I save all the pattern steps and make after I see the finished project. Haven't started her Soltice one but I do love the finished quilt.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 AM

If I still lived in western NY, I'd find you and bring my tall son so that we could hold up this lovely quilt so that you could take the best possible photo of this lovely work of art. Alas, I am in Springfield, IL. I hope this marvelous quilt keeps you snug.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 PM

I love Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street and your fabric and color selections really make it that much more beautiful! Great job!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM

this is on my bucket list. I will just have to buy her book!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful. BrendaK