Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FABRIC IS BACK

would love to see which stores are among the 300.

Quote Originally Posted by booklady
    would love to see which stores are among the 300.
    I think she said it was 700 stores.

Happy dancing and praising the lord

That has to be great news for those of you that live near a Walmart. Every penny saved means more quilts in the long run. I have 2 LQS plus JoAnn's. I'm always shopping the internet for bargains.

Did they say if this would include Walmarts in Canada? I live in a community with no fabric available. WM has put in some cheapy precuts, we need our regular department back.

YEAH,YEAH. I hope they will have a variety and not order the
    same fabric when they run out of some. Every store had the
    same fabric all the time.

kbs
    I guess they (WalMart) realize the power of a woman and her sewing machine. I have one great place to shop for fabrics but every thing else if hours away. Will be nice to have a choice.

I'm glad to hear this, I do make some quilts from QS fabric but can NOT afford to do this on all of them, most of mine made with QS fabric are throws or wall hangings, not big enough for the beds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Tee hee hee...Praise The Lord indeed!

Good Job, Twinkie! :lol:

Thanks for sharing the great story!

I am so excited as this was my department for the 3 years before they closed the department. I love Fabrics and Crafts!!

My store is a newer one that never had fabric. I wonder if we will get it. Probably not.

It's great to know our voices were heard. I was one of those who let them know I was REALLY upset with them !

I don't know if it will get fabric or not, however, I will do my best to try and find out. If you send me a PM, I will try to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaz
    My store is a newer one that never had fabric. I wonder if we will get it. Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnya
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    Please, this thread is not about whether you like Wal Mart fabric or not. If you don't use (or don't care for) Wal Mart fabric, commenting on this thread about fabric quality is not necessary. This is for us quilters who use some Wal Mart fabric and are so happy that it is coming back. About higher prices, prices at Wal Mart stores that kept their fabric have increased along with the market. Also, when I went to my store to work last night, I was told that they had received a box of fabric on bolts while I was gone. I am so glad to know that Wal Mart has reacted to the wishes and desires of their customers. My personal thanks to all of you who contacted them about bringing fabric back.
    Thank you, thank you for saying what I was thinking.
    I for one am very happy that the fabric is coming back.
    I second that , I feel the same way as I also was one who wrote in and complained about there taking it out, Thank goodness it's back!!! :-D

Greeeeaaaat!

I was a Fabric and Craft Manager for 8 years. Ours was one of the stores that did away with it and is one that is bringing it back! I was there this week talking to the DM and yes the prices may have increased a bit but they are also bringing in some of the better quality brands like Debbie Mumm... so I think it is well worth it! Can't wait until ours is ready!

Read about that in the paper today

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Our walmart just remodeled..they moved the entire store to all different areas? don't know what the logic was to this? The fabric is now where the furniture was, it was moved once before to where the kids clothes used to be, the pharmacy was moved out into a plywood room in front of the checkstands, until the regular pharmacy was done remodeling. Now the fabric dept is about half the size it was and all the prices jumped up about $2 a yard. I don't think I will be shopping there much. It's too confusing, the store isles are narrower and the quality of items seem to have declined. I called their 800# and voiced my opinion for what its worth. I think Joann's has a much better selection and with my 40% & 50% off coupons they are a better buy. Sorry Walmart but I will be taking my business elsewhere. Besides you can go in there when it's the 1st of the month when alot of people get their SS checks and there will only be 4 checkers on duty, if we are lucky. I think Sam Walton would be disappointed to see what his hard work to build this company has now become. crafty_linda_b

Getting someone to cut your fabric:
    When I need fabric cut I try to look through the shoes and crafts (each side of fabric) on my way to the fabric dept. That way I can let someone know I'm going to need help. If that doesn't work I stop in the place where you pick up site to store packages. Often there's no one in either place. In that case I give it a reasonable time - 10 minutes maybe - then I pull out my phone and call the customre service number. "Hello, I'm in the fabric department and need someone to cut my fabric. Can you help?" That gets the job done!

Funny, I was in a Walmart after church today and three of us customers had to wait about 10-15 minutes after having someone paged, before they showed up to cut fabric. We just kept shopping while we waited, or else I would have lost patience and left. I looked at a lot of their fabric, esp. the better stuff like the Cranston VIP brand, and it was all made in Pakistan, even the Cranston! The closest to domestic I found was some that was marked, "printed in the USA." Big deal. They bought foreign cotton and printed it here. What has happened to all the huge fabric mills in places like Rhode Island? Textile mills were the mainstay in many New England states while I was growing up. I hate that we are importing it all now. It's not really any cheaper, either. Think of the thousands of people those mills employed.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

When I was in our Wal Mart last week, I asked and was told by the end of June they would have fabric back!! I did notice the guns etc were already back.

I am so excited...counting the days .... I am I am

Blog Entries
    hope we get ours back. don't like 2 go 2 walmart's anymore , since they stopped carring it.....i would go straight 2 the fabric ......no more. did someone say it is coming in sept.???????

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Funny, I was in a Walmart after church today and three of us customers had to wait about 10-15 minutes after having someone paged, before they showed up to cut fabric. We just kept shopping while we waited, or else I would have lost patience and left. I looked at a lot of their fabric, esp. the better stuff like the Cranston VIP brand, and it was all made in Pakistan, even the Cranston! The closest to domestic I found was some that was marked, "printed in the USA." Big deal. They bought foreign cotton and printed it here. What has happened to all the huge fabric mills in places like Rhode Island? Textile mills were the mainstay in many New England states while I was growing up. I hate that we are importing it all now. It's not really any cheaper, either. Think of the thousands of people those mills employed.
    I think Cranston VIP was the last one made in America. They closed their mill a couple years ago.

Now most of our cotton is American grown but manufactured elsewhere. Cotton crops were seriously damaged this spring. More than 50% of American cotton comes from Texas, and the drought there has taken its toll on the crops. Many have been completely destroyed.

It's such a shame for the cotton farmers too. It's about 6 months from field to fabric shop. We'll see the result in price hikes next winter.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast