Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric I bought on Hawaii trip

OK. I went a little overboard on the fabric! I had to buy a new suitcase to bring it all home... But I couldn't resist. It was the day after snorkeling and the fish and reef fabric called out to me. And the bark cloth! Beautiful! I see several BQ type, and "can't cut this fabric" style quilts in my future! I managed to visit four shops, but only bought at two shops, Maui Quilt Shop and at Fabric Mart.

Assortment 1/2 yd Bark cloth
    Name:  Attachment-92227.jpe
Views: 1182
Size:  86.9 KB

Assortment 1/2 yd Bark cloth. I LOVE the turtles
    Name:  Attachment-92228.jpe
Views: 1165
Size:  118.9 KB

Got ten yards of the monotone teal fabric for my backings. Its beautiful!
    Name:  Attachment-92229.jpe
Views: 1167
Size:  89.9 KB

My snorkeling memory fabric!
    Name:  Attachment-92303.jpe
Views: 1165
Size:  87.7 KB

"OH" my That is gorgious fabric. Can't wait to see what your going to make with it, please be sure and post pics.

Very very pretty & oh so colorful! Good for you! What a great vacation reminder. :thumbup:

A vacation in Hawaii---
    And fabric-----
    HEAVEN

ooo, you got some lovelies there ;-0

Beautiful fabrics!!
    I hit 4 shops when in Maui last October.
    Got some great fabrics too!

Your fabrics are beautiful! Here I am reading The Aloha Quilt and you've been off to Hawai'i. I needa getta life! :mrgreen:

I loved Hawaii. I brought home two of the materials you did plus patterns to make a turtle quilt. I managed to do 3 quilt shops on Maui and 2 quilt shops on the big island. Layover on the return trip home on Maui so we took the bus to the mall they had a large shop inside the mall. Couldn't buy anything there would have had to ship home. Suitcases were thru customs couldn't get to them.

My boss is going to Hawaii for a conference, and he owes me big time ATM, the conference is on Oahu, any addresses or shops that are cannot miss? - he has promised me some fabric

What is bark cloth? Is that kinda like batiks?

I LOVE the prints. :thumbup:

I just love it. I'm so jealous, I haven't been there in a few years. Love to go quilt shopping there. there fab is so different

I love bark cloth too but don't know how to describe it other than it's thick and I used it for pillows, aprons and things like that. But I am highly allergic to it so Bluelady, be very careful when using it. I don't know why that particular fabric makes my skin react and erupts with pimple/mosquito like spots and then huge welts thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    My boss is going to Hawaii for a conference, and he owes me big time ATM, the conference is on Oahu, any addresses or shops that are cannot miss? - he has promised me some fabric
    There are a couple of Fabric Marts in Honolulu. Worth a visit! Most of the Hawaiian fabric is on rolls, instead of bolts, so there are no "permanent" creases running down the middle of the fabric. Lots of beautiful bark cloth and other Hawaiian prints there. I went to the one on Kalakaua Ave. They have a web site, http://fmart.com. Although the web site says the bark cloth is for upholstery or drapes, it will make beautiful quilts. It isn't that heavy, unless you get the heavy upholstery stuff. The bark cloth I bought was under $5 a yard.
    The three rows of right to your right as you walk in are the most spectacular, most Hawaiian. All standing upright on rolls, the owner (manager?)constantly rearranging and putting back on the posts. Very helpful man.
    If your boss goes to that store, tell him not to bother going upstairs. The bolts up there were nothing special.
    Kamaiki Dry Goods was another quilt store I went to in Honolulu. Beautiful store, many many bolts of fabric, but 95 percent is stuff I find at quilt stores here and the prices there were a bit higher than here at a LQS.

Ohhhhhh, I am insanely jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie

That was going to be my question too. Never heard of it before. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years stationed there with my husband and the USCG. I wasn't quilting then and boy am I sorry. Look at all that I missed. I remember my husband brought me home a piece of batik from Tonga and I asked it what I was supposed to do with it. It was gorgeous but I had no idea what to do with it and gave it away. Today I would do anything just to have it here to put in a quilt. Wow, the dumb dumb days !!!

Lucky you! For both the fabric and the trip!!!

I also bought at the same stores you did! I did like the fact that FabricMart had the fabric on rolls instead of the bolts. I looked at the bark cloth, but had already a large selection and just could not get that. I agree with the Dry Goods store, though I did get some Asian/Oriental fabric that was unique.

Great Fabric! You are going to have a great time with it, can't wait to see your projects you make with it.

Beautiful fabrics. I would have to ship my purchases home as I know I would go bonkers for their fabric.

Those are beautiful fabrics. My DH spent 20 years in the Army and we never got to go to Hawaii. It is the only place in the world I really wanted to see.

Those are beautiful fabrics. My DH spent 20 years in the Army and we never got to go to Hawaii. It is the only place in the world I really wanted to see.

Blog Entries
    Hawaii has such beautiful vibrant fabric. I quilted for a gal that sent her quilts from Hawaii and It was always a special treat for me to open the box and see her work.

Those are some exciting pieces. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie

Bark cloth is Hawaiian cloth fabric with retro flowers, bamboo prints, funky, deco and atomic abstract patterns. It has kind of a "nubby" feel to it, it is not rough, just not as smooth as most cotton fabric. It does come in blends, but I just got the all cotton. These 50's retro textiles can be used for apparel, bedding, drapery, crafting and quilting and other home decor projects. It ends up with a lovely soft texture for quilts.
    It has very large designs, not suitable for small piecing projects. I think it would work beautifully with the BQ and BQ2 patterns!
    As mentioned, I just got the thinner style to use for quilting, but now.. I wish I had gotten some of the upholstery grade too! My dining chairs need new seat cushions..
    http://barkclothhawaii.com has excellent pictures of many different prints.

oooo, ahhhh, ohhhhh. Pretty.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast