Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
fabric measure tool >

fabric measure tool

fabric measure tool

Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 AM
Super Member
Thread Starter
leonf's Avatar
Join Date: May 2016
Location: near Topeka kansas
Posts: 4,268
Default fabric measure tool


I had posted this in a thread, but realized a lot of young quilters may never have seen one.
Fabric is run through the groove when it comes off of the bolt and the hands on the front measure the yards. A friend is trying to restore it. If it happens, I'll send after pictures. I have no idea of the proper name for it. The reset button on the rear started a great zip noise as the hands went back to place.
leonf is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Super Member
DogHouseMom's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Knot Merrill, Southern Indiana
Posts: 5,781

I remember those!! As I recall it also made a nip/cut on the fabric. The clerk would then use this cut as the starting point to rip the yardage for sale.
DogHouseMom is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Super Member
Blueridgebeverly's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Great Lakes area
Posts: 1,411

I love antique tools! My nephew deals in antiques. I'll have to ask him if he ever runs into these things.
Blueridgebeverly is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Super Member
Macybaby's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,620

I've seen updated ones being used with upholstery and drapery fabric. They set it up so it will roll from one tube to another, and then turn the crank until they've got the requested yardage rolled. And those ones do have the snipping function so they can then advance it and cut.
Macybaby is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Super Member
sash's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,666

I remember.
sash is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:57 AM
Super Member
paintmejudy's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ suburb
Posts: 4,664

A drapery fabric and upholstery shop in Mesa AZ uses these, they must be still made as their measurer thingies look reasonably new. Invaluable when you are measuring out yardage on 54" wide rolls of fabric. The fabric rolls out electrically from tube to tube as mentioned above..
paintmejudy is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Power Poster
nativetexan's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: home again, after 27 yrs!
Posts: 19,388

JoAnn's has something to measure large bolts of fabric. so the way to do it is still going on. I don't remember what it looked like though.
nativetexan is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM
Power Poster
dunster's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Posts: 14,411

I remember those. I also remember the pneumatic tubes that ran back and forth in the department stores carrying cash. And I remember buying beautiful fabric for 79 cents per yard. Too bad I didn't know to stockpile it back then...
dunster is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,257

I remember those. I actually used one when I was just out of high school and working for a dept store. Remember when dept stores carried fabrics sometimes called "yard goods"? (or was that just my mother that called them "yard goods"?)
cashs_mom is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Super Member
sewingsuz's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,550

I remember the tubes to send Money back and forth but do not remember the other thingy!
sewingsuz is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
07-12-2011 01:59 AM
11-01-2009 06:49 PM
Links and Resources
06-29-2009 09:43 PM
10-03-2007 03:58 AM
Cliff Lewis
01-03-2007 11:18 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.