Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fading Footprints Quilt

Fading Footprints Quilt

I haven't posted in a while but I thought I would share my latest project. I started my Fading Footprints quilt earlier this year and just finished in December. I canít sit inside during the summer months at my sewing machine so I took a long break off. Last year, when I was finishing another art quilt project, I thought my next quilt should be endangered animals.

I initially debated a while about how to do them. I knew I want finished 10x10Ē blocks that surrounded a large center panel with some borders. I eventually decided to sketch/paint the animals on the fabric.

My process was the same for all 19 animals. I would lightly sketch the animal with minimal detail then I painted them. I used Tsukineko all-purpose inks and since I was doing this on fabric I had a lot of bleeding and wicking of the ink so I had to really take that into account when painting. They also worked better if the fabric was wet otherwise it would just soak right in and not blend. I also had to let each layer dry before going onto the next but I got them done fairly quickly. I could do two animals a day except for the center. That took me a full 2 days to complete.

Name:  1 (1).jpg
Views: 4306
Size:  1.74 MB

Name:  1 (6).jpg
Views: 4311
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  1 (7).jpg
Views: 4328
Size:  1.85 MB

After I painted them, they looked okay but still kinda flat. So I decided to thread paint them with embroidery thread to help the animal stand out a bit. I didnít do much in the backgrounds on most of them because I wanted people to look at the animal and focus on them. Some animals are not thread painted at all. Thatís mostly because I didnít want to mess up my painting. Basically, I did thread painting where I thought it needed it the most.

I was also terrified to work on the center rhino but it looked too flat. So I eventually, took a deep breath and started working with dark colors first working my way up to the lightest. Again, I just focused on the animal, specifically the face, since thatís where most people look.

I imagined the rhino would have tall gasses in front him and a tree going up the side and across the top of the animal. So I took some fabric and batting and started to draw some tall grass shapes with a frixon pen. I then quilted all the grasses and painted them with my Ink tense pencils. I did the same with the tree and limbs but I used my inks. I also painted more fabric for the leaves using some oil paint sticks, and used that fabric for some embroidered appliquť leaves.

Name:  1 (8).jpg
Views: 4347
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  1 (10).jpg
Views: 4287
Size:  1.59 MB

After I got the animals painted, I decided I would go ahead and paint the sashing that was going to go between the pictures. Since all the animal backgrounds are different colors but primarily blue, green, brown and a few grays, I decided the sashing could be those same colors and kind blend into the other colors. I didnít want to try to find different fabrics that fit the bill so I thought, ďIíll just paint the sashing.Ē So I got the inks back out and painted the sashing.

Next, up was the borders. I thought Iíd have different footprints of animals in the borders that would go from dark (more prominent) to light (less prominent) in the hopes of mimicking footprints that are fading. I wound up painting the fabric and drawing the footprints since that just seemed like the easy way at this point.

And while I was painting that fabric, I figured Iíd just go ahead and paint enough fabric for the binding in various shades of blue.

I also decided to try some fusible batting between the backing and top. I was hoping to keep my backing fabric straight on the back since I always seem to get a big wrinkle and I only see it after Iíve sewn it all together. I used Hobbs fusible batting and it worked like a charm. I really liked that it wasnít a hard fuse. I could reposition the top/back if necessary and smooth things out. It held everything in place while I did some stitch in the ditch around the sashing and not a pin in sight.

After I put the binding on, I used a fusible tape to hold the binding to the back. It took a while to fuse that clear around the quilt but it held perfectly and again no pins. Win win in my book.
    I made my quilt label next. Since this is an art quilt, its a little bigger than most. In addition to my personal info and quilt title, I wanted to let people know some stats about the black rhino (center panel) and a quote about conservation from David Attenborough seemed appropriate, as well as a list of all the animals I featured. I even had enough sashing left over to put around the quilt label. The quilt measures 68x78.

Name:  1 (9).jpg
Views: 4283
Size:  1.76 MB

Name:  1 (11).jpg
Views: 4073
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  1 (12).jpg
Views: 3998
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  2015-12-08 18.44.54.jpg
Views: 3916
Size:  1.67 MB

Zounds! You have IT girl.

Wow! What a unique and creative piece! You are very talented!! Thanks for sharing the details of this. Lots of work, but well worth your efforts!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    OMG - Fabulous! I hope that you enter it in some sort of quilt show and get the recognition that you deserve!
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    Well Done!
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Thank you, Lisa, for sharing the details of your artistic creativity. So often, we only see the finished product so it was inspiring to see the details, as well! Wish I lived near enough to see this magnificent piece of art in person.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Blog Entries
    Oh my Lisa!! You are truly talented. Your sketching and painting are gorgeous and then throw in the thread painting..... A work of art!! FABULOUS! I give it my vote for quilter's choice award.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

There are not enough words of admiration in the dictionary, for your efforts and the results. Absolutely amazing! Please enter this in a show because it needs to be seen by as many people as possible.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

SPECTACULAR!!! Thank you for including details of how you did everything.

You have created a masterpiece. I love the different foot prints.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Stunning beyond words!

What a phenomenal achievement! It is just gorgeous. I admire your talent and creativity. Well done!
    Penny

You have TONS of talent Lisa. What an excellent quilt to be made of the animals that footprints ARE disappearing from this earth. I HOPE this quilt can make a difference.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Spectacular.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Wiping the drool off my keyboard. Stunning.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's TOTALLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely gorgeous and so unique. Your drawing/painting and quilting are fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasp! This should be in Houston or a major art show and/or museum!! It would be amazing on canvas, but even more so on fabric!!
    Ruth

Beautiful - and thank you for creating such a compassionate work of art.

What an astonishing creation! It's lovely and touching, as well. You are quite the artist. If only one person's awareness of these issues is awakened, you will have achieved your goal.

What a stunning piece you have created! Wonderful.....

WOW!!! What a fabulous piece of art! Lisa - is your quilt ever displayed locally? I'd love to see it in person and I'm in Gahanna, Ohio.

Blog Entries
    wow, I have no words, simply stunning, excellent work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Unbelievable, the colors and acuity of the colors. Love the black footed ferret the best. he's adorable.
    Just museum quality work here. Your quilting added so much dimension to it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

What a work of art, just stunning!

Power Poster
    wow its should be entered in a aquilt show
    QUILTNMO

Senior Member wildwoodflower12390's Avatar
    What a beautiful work of art.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast