Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Feathered Star... version 2 >

Feathered Star... version 2

Feathered Star... version 2

Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Hmmm.... I just thought of something. When doing the larger stars, that are really flying geese, I am sewing point-to-point on the colored square and then cutting off the excess. I have a big stack of HSTs that are a bunch of pairs of a color and a beige. I've been keeping them neatly stacked thinking I might be able to use them sometime.

Every star gives me 8 of these pairs, total of 160 pairs, so it might be possible to use them as a border. At least I have another option if the LCs don't work out.
Yes. I made a quilt with dozens of Flying geese in it and yes, the HST 'extras' went into the border. It really ties the quilt together because the colors all match up with the original design.

tim in san jose
Old 04-08-2009, 11:08 AM

[quote=k_jupiter]
Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Hmmm.... I just thought of something. When doing the larger stars, that are really flying geese, I am sewing point-to-point on the colored square and then cutting off the excess. I have a big stack of HSTs that are a bunch of pairs of a color and a beige. I've been keeping them neatly stacked thinking I might be able to use them sometime.
Exactly!
My friend and I were working on a Crossroads quilt which called for lots of snowballs. On the first quilt, we sewed each of the extra seams before cutting our excess off, VIOLA! HST (y'all are teaching me! <g>). The next quilt, I said: oh, forget the extra seam, I will do something different with the triangles... well ... I ended up sewing the same two triangles together, exactly as they came off the original block ... more time, more fuss, for no more effect than the first time. Using the extra in the border or on the back (or as seed for another quilt) or as a baby quilt ... you are miles ahead to take care of them now (IMHO), while everything is right there. Nothing says you have to press them open and square them up until you are ready to work on that project ... but, as I learned from QUiltivlle - - two quilts at a time, is not a bad deal!