Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Finally!!!

I had such hopes for this little quilt but it soon progressed into a mess.
    I did it all on the machine using my Embroidery machine to quilt "squares" and then tried a "new" method to apply the binding. Not sure how they made it look so good in the mag.
    Also, I tried using the Bias tape in the package...so wrong!!! Won't do that again.
    Not sure what I will do with it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heres a couple more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Send it to me!!! :D

Ditter

Blog Entries
    You can always donate it to charity, downy quilts, or give away to someone at a nursing home.

I like it!

Thanks,
    I might donate it to charity...
    K

Sorry it did not turn out as you wished. Beautiful fabric.

Not bad for a first try! Your tension looks a little off. The reason it's as noticable as it is though is because you used a dark thread on top & a light one on the bottom - even w/the best tension in the world you're bound to get some pokies when using a dark & a light.

I'm still try'n to figure out how to do binding 100% by machine... Mine attempts always disappoint me *sighs*

When doing embroidery for quilting, I've found that matching the bobbin and top thread color is the easiest and best looking. I always do a sample to play with tension a bit before doing the project. Live and learn. I've got one quilt that looks similar (tension issue) on the back and I'm going to use it as a car quilt:>

Banned
    I like it :shock:

My favorite colors. Don't be so hard on yourself.
    I'll be gald to give the quilt a home.

I think it's gorgeous...
    fantabulous colors.

I didn't think I could use a light color on the top because I was trying to "hide" all stitching.
    Thanks for the help everyone...
    I, also, am not a fan of 100% machine binding!
    All suggestions and advice is appreciated!
    Thank you so much!!!
    Kirsten

Hey I love that purple fabric! I've used it in 2 of my own quilts.

Not that bad, keep trying, I think it looks fine, learn to love it!

Blog Entries
    i love the quilt! the colors are so dramatic and the embroidery is a nice touch.
    having said that, now the criticizm...(sorry, it does look ok, so don't take it personal)
    not a fan of machine bindings, it seems to me no matter how careful you are, how much time and pins you use, it still looks....rushed-machined-
    it just seems like if you put so much time into the quilt, making it as perfect as possible, quilt it, and then...
    make it look like a 'walmart-special' by machine stitching the binding. any job worth doing is worth doing right and a hand stitched (on one side, machine apply to front then pull to back and hand stitch)binding really makes the finished product look (finished) with pride and care.
    i have tried all kinds of different techniques for bindings that others have suggested and/or recommended and none have resulted in a nice looking finish other that the good old fashioned way. that being said, if the quilt is a childs quilt that is going to be dragged around and washed hundreds of time...zig-zag that binding and make it good and secure, the kids don't care what it looks like, they do care if it comes apart though.
    GREAT QUILT!!!LOVE THOSE COLORS!!!

Love those colors! You have to live and learn. The next technique you try might be a total winner and you would have never known if you didn't try. This quilt isn't a total loss though. It has beautiful fabrics, the flaws are very small and above all, it's finished!!!

I did have to laugh when I read your post though (sorry!). I'm in the midst of finishing up a quilt that I started out with great expectations for, and now am just having to force myself to finish. I think we all have those quilts, probably several of them! :)

As a side note, where in south Puget Sound are you? I was born and mostly raised in Olympia but spent time living up towards Federal Way and Tacoma. Most my family is still in WA. My grandmother lives in Olympia (out Marvin Road), my brother lives in Tumwater, and my dad lives out in Elma.

I think it looks just fine. It may not be up to your normal standards but it is still a great quilt and deserves a loving home.

I love it! :D :D

I love the Fabrics and colors you used, so that in itself makes it just right!

I love the colors and think it looks good. I tried to sew second side of the binding by machine, got about 2 feet done and had to rip it out, I hand stitched like all the others and was pleased with it. Before I learned more about quilting I used packaged binding, was not pleased with it, got a book and learned how to make it, all I do now.

This is a lovely quilt and I never like to not use my quilts I make and also never unpick them as I need to see how I grow in my quilting journey. I use some of the smaller quilts I make even to throw over my foot stools. Of course only the foot stools that dont get used. hehehehe

We quilters are so hard on our selves it is crazy. On very rare occasions I have sewn my binding on by machine. How long have you been quilting? I think your quilt is pretty and as long as you love it that is all that matters. I just worked on a folded border and hated every second I worked on it. Three sides are really wonderful and corner is BARF. I ripped and ripped and ripped. When I finally got those borders finished it and I sighed, and shut off the light, and closed the door behind me. Your quilt is great, give ourself a break! :thumbup: