Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: First attempt at FMQ

Blog Entries

First attempt at FMQ

Here is my first attempt at FMQ. lol I clearly need to work on it.

Name:  DSC_9308.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  317.1 KB
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Nice try! It's a pain to work on it but it does help to practice. I'm only a little bit ahead of what you are doing now. Keep practicing. Maybe you can take all your practice pieces and put them into a quilt down the road. We look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.
    VickyS

Looks a lot better than mine.

Looks pretty darn good

Looks pretty good for first attempt alot better than my first attempt. I took a class offered at local fabric store called "Dazzling Doodles" taught by Judy Irish. She does what she calls thread painting and also quilts for alot of the fabric designers quilt samples. She stresses that there is no wrong way to FMQ and throw the rules out the window. The most important thing is to practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. So keep up the good work.

That's far better than any I've done-which is none! Kudos for being brave enough to even start! Thanks for inspiring and sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

It looks fine & dandy to me. Hey, at least you're trying, right? Thanks for sharing your efforts with us... it inspires me to step out of my comfort zone!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

It sort of looks like mine when I started, but it will start to get better as you go along.. I think it plays mind games with me.. It goes to fast for my eye hand coordination, but it works..

Blog Entries
    First try and it came out pretty even. I say it's a very good start! Practice, practice and more practice. It gets better and better each time
    Helen T.

Well it certainly looks better than my first.....second and more tries.....there is NO way I would even want anyone to see my attempts. People say it gets easier but I am sure not finding that out. My brain and hand does not even want to do all those zig-zags and all....although I don't know why cause my brain and hand doesn't do to good at straight stitching either. Thanks for sharing.
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

Power Poster
    It looks pretty good. If it was on a fabric with a pattern, it would be great.

I think it looks pretty good!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Yeah for you. practice on paper too. Then the pattern will be in your mind and all you have to do is move the machine. Even do patterns you are familiar with, we can all improve even on a pattern we know well. Keep going. It is so much fun. And of course on your first real quilt, use a busy fabric.
    DEB CAVAN

Blog Entries
    The free flow will come with time

At least you got in there and are trying -- I'm too afraid to start! I know anything I do would look one hundred times worse...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

You are braver than I am! I don't think I will eveer have the nerve to try FMQ. Doesn't look that bad to me.

One tip I will share; go SLOW. That way you can see not only where you are, but where you want to go. Keep working on it!
    Julie B

It's like driving, just keep practicing, took me a long time and I'm still not that great at it. your coming along very well.
    will quilt 4EVER

Blog Entries
    I like it! I'm not very good at "stippling", try making cursive "e" rows and "c" rows! Or cursive "L" rows. Once you get into that groove, you are in it! Here's a quilt with the "L"s. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5367271
    You might want to sew your sandwich around the edges before you start too.
    Another thing that I found to be very helpful is to draw a design on the fabric and sort of trace it with the sewing machine. Don't stress about it, but it helps me know where to go to next, without seeing a big, open wide space. http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...-df-quilt3.jpg See? It also helps get you out of those tight spots, which is easier to do with a pen than with a sewing machine! If I see that I messed up, I will go over the spot in a different color pen, as you can see in the top right hand corner. I didn't like the orange markings, so I started again with purple!

Best of luck to you! Remember: have fun!

Blog Entries
    Congrats on getting started on your FMQ! Looks like you've got the start of something great! You have the rhythm. Yes, all the advice I receive is practice practice practice. I'm going to pull out a drawing pad and practice some there. I've heard that before and just heard it again yesterday. Hope to see more from you! Fun, isn't it?

Power Poster
    You're doing great!!!