Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First Attempt at Triangles >

First Attempt at Triangles

First Attempt at Triangles

Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I have that little card as well. Boy it sure works up nice. I am having trouble with a BOM and getting everything lined up and making sure I have 1/4 seams. It really seems to be a problem for me and the Back of Nature BOM. I am using batiks however and I find those are a pain to work with because my needles don't really like going through the layers.
Right now, the only difference I know is between a stretch needle and a universal needle. I use the universal needle for cottons and the stretch for chemo turbans. Haven't had a problem yet, but I think I need to start learning what the different numbers on the needles mean. My universal needle that came with the machine goes through layers of batiks just fine, but I don't know why (maybe it's my Brother machine - he's a great guy). Wish I could help you, but I can't, so I'm calling out to the experts to give us an answer.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Sharon, I can't see anything wrong with the first one! They are both beautiful and you did a fab job working with plaids!
They scare me hahaha
Plaids scare me, too, but I didn't have anything else suitable in my small stash. Never thought I'd get to use it (it was given to me) and jumped at the chance that it looked great with the main fabric. The fact that it turned out nice was not by PLAN, but by CHANCE. I forgot to even look and just folded it into fourths and cut. I got real lucky. That was the ONLY plaid in my stash and I'm glad to have used most of it. lol. Thanks for your undeserved compliment!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I got brave and tried to do something with triangles rather than squares and rectangles. It appears that I need to get more precise with my measuring and accurate scant 1/4 seams and with pressing the right way. The light colored one was first and is the most "off", so I am forced to keep it for me. Second one is a gift for my daughter. Forgive that I got overly anxious to post and have not bound them yet.
I never work with triangles per se if I can help it. Usually sew squares together then cut. Saves stretched sides.
I'm sure your daughter would love either. Both are very pretty.

I try to stay away from triangles. However, I'm working on a sailboat quilt and have no choice but to use triangles. I use the quick quarter ruler set that I ordered from Nancy's Notions but I've seen it other places. You line up the middle of the ruler with the center of the square on the diagonial then mark on either side of the ruler. Sew on the side markings and cut down the center of the seams. Just remember to add 7/8ths inch to your blocks.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 PM

I got brave and tried to do something with triangles rather than squares and rectangles. It appears that I need to get more precise with my measuring and accurate scant 1/4 seams and with pressing the right way. The light colored one was first and is the most "off", so I am forced to keep it for me. Second one is a gift for my daughter. Forgive that I got overly anxious to post and have not bound them yet.
What size are your tops? What size is your middle square? They are both so pretty. I want to try making one.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 PM
np3
Power Poster

You did a good job!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk
What size are your tops? What size is your middle square? They are both so pretty. I want to try making one.
Hi, Finished size is 20" x 20" before binding. Center square is 10" x 10". Have fun. These are quick and easy.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 AM

Looks good to me.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:55 AM

Your bravery paid off.Really great job!!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 AM

great job love the colors
Old 10-08-2010, 04:53 AM

WOW Awesome I just love fall colors great job. :thumbup: