Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Floral X's and O's - My First Quilt top >

Floral X's and O's - My First Quilt top

Floral X's and O's - My First Quilt top

Old 02-16-2022, 11:22 AM

Default Floral X's and O's - My First Quilt top

The amazing posts of a variety of quilting topics and suggestions, and responses gave me the confidence to try stitching this quilt top for my D. Right now it is 63" x 81".
This began with the Floral X & O tutorial by Jenny Doan of MSQC. I used fabric by the meter. When it came to the layout, my D did not want a random layout which posed a problem because due to my inexperience, I had bought and used only 4 printed fabrics. Ultimately I stumbled upon this layout, liked it and was excited to see a secondary pattern of 8 pointed Stars emerge.
The problem is that I feel I have messed up with the colors. ( and I have a color wheel which I'm not very good with).
To me this looks too colorful. too busy. I feel the peach stars do not go well with the rest. Is it because it's in the same fabric?
I would appreciate any suggestions to improve on this.
Also request suggestions on the fabrics I should use for the 2 borders.
This one is going to be used as a bed cover, so what batting will be appropriate?
Attached Thumbnails quilt-top.jpg  
Old 02-16-2022, 11:31 AM

Oh no, it is fine. I like the background. makes it very different. great blocks! I wont' comment on batting as I normally only use one.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:15 PM

I like it! One of the things that I like the most is the color combination.

Batting will depend on what look you want and how much warmth. I like cotton batting and prefer something lightweight since I live in a generally warm climate. My favorite batting is currently Quilters Dream Orient. Its contains bamboo and silk as well as tencel and cotton. I really like it and it makes the softest, drapey quilts.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 02-16-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

You did really well! I think I might do a quilting pattern in the peach blocks with brown thread to tie it to the darker X blocks. I think I would use the same peach for a border and do brown thread quilting in that also.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

You're too hard on yourself. I think it's lovely!
You did a great job.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:32 AM

You made an Awesome quilt. You can choose a thread color for quilting the quilt that can tie in the peach stars with the rest of the quilt. Will you quilt this yourself or will you have someone else quilt it? If you need help choosing a thread color and have a quilt shop nearby. take your quilt top to the shop and ask for advice.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:19 AM

I like it a LOT!!
Old 02-17-2022, 06:27 AM

That is a great first quilt! Congrats. I like the layout and the colors. If you pull some of the peach into the border, that will help tie it all together. maybe a thin peach border then a larger outer border of one of the other fabrics you like.
I generally prefer a cotton blend batting. But if you are in a warm climate or you are aghast at the price of batting, a layer of flannel will work well in its place instead.
Old 02-17-2022, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt is very pretty!
Old 02-17-2022, 07:38 AM

You did a fantastic job on your first quilt. I like the suggestions to use the peach in the borders with brown quilting in those areas to tie the entire quilt together. Please continue to share your quilting progresses.