Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flowers In My Braids

Pam--I LOVE it!!!! I can't wait to see it made up. (And I can't believe I couldn't figure this one out!! :) )

I started with a New Quilt, Vertical Stripes. I made the stripes 12" x 80", added the 1" and 2" stripes (borders) between them, added the 1" inner border and the 6" outer border.

I created a new block, size 12"x80", and just used the drawing tool to do 45 degree lines to make the braid. It isn't exactly the measurements of the pattern but it was easiest to just do whole inches for design.

Oh wow... I found a floral in the same fabric collection for the border!

With this black background I think that the end triangles on the braid strips should be black instead of beige.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Yes definitely black triangles or they will stick out.

This is going to be a beautiful quilt. When you finish, I'm going to share a picture with my LQS since they have taught a class on this.

I ordered the floral border fabric. Now to find the fabric for the braids. Looking online it seems that the Marbelous colors go very well with the other two fabrics.

I like this darker border fabric better than the small print floral. With the darker background, I think it goes better with the bright gradations fabrics. It's going to be another PittsburgPam masterpiece, I'm sure.

Got all my fabric choices done and ordered. :-D

Instead of trying to find yardage just of the Fusions I wanted, I ordered two jelly rolls that contain every color, 139 colors. I got Fusions Grass for the green border and Moda Marbles Charcoal for the black triangles (to throw something different in there instead of another Fusions).

Blog Entries
    Considering that you won't get your order until maybe Tuesday next week, do you think you'll have it done by Wednesday?

:lol: :lol: just kidding!

You chose spectacular colors for this project and it will be beautiful!

It's going to be gorgeous!!!

Well, if I get the Vintage quilt done by then I just might. :lol: :-P

I hope it goes together in person since I've only seen them online. Should be able to use the exact colors I want with 139 Fusions colors to choose from.

Blog Entries
    I've never seen this quilt being made, but I've seen several of them in person. It is amazing how different they all come out with different colors.

You will shock us all if you complete this quilt top in one day! :shock:

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gorgeous! What is the fabric line? Would like to find a nice floral with black background. Haven't look yet, though. I think I'd like one with red in it. You are going to have a beautiful finished quilt! Glad you found the coordinating floral.

Blog Entries
    It's going to be absolutely beautiful!! And do please post pictures of your progress!!
    :) :)

The fabric line has different tones called Vintage (what I got), Jewel, and Autumn. The Autumn ones have more red/orange rather than the magenta/pink.

I could only find the framed floral AND the coordinating strips in Vintage or I might have got the Jewel ones for the colors.

Here's the floral with black background in Autumn. Several places had it that I found in a google search.
    http://www.mountainviewquiltshoppe.c...cking5=froogle

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks so much!I love quilting friends; always helping and caring.
    Connie

That will be stunning. Please post pictures as you make it.

Oooo, can't wait to see this one made up, it's going to be beautiful! Great idea :thumbup:

I can't wait to see the finished quilt. These are beautiful fabrics.

I imported all 139 Fusions fabrics, and the other actual fabrics, and added them to the design. This isn't exactly how it would be since there are 12 strips on each side of the center square, more than the picture shows. I need to lay out the strips when they arrive and decide on the placement.

I like this. Makes me smile to look at all the colors. :)

Blog Entries
    Are you going to have to cut the jelly roll strips or will you be able to use them width they are?

The pattern calls for 2 1/2" x 8 1/2" pieces. What is puzzling is that they don't seem to mention jelly rolls anywhere in the book that I have seen yet. I don't see why not, I've seen lots of braid patterns made from them.

There are no absolutes since there aren't other measurements that need to line up with them. They can be as long or as wide as you want them to be, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Right, I agree that they can be as long or wide as you want to make them typically, but you need to work around your center fabric which does have a measurement. Was just wondering if you could use the standard width jelly roll size. It would be a pain and wasteful if you had to trim them at all, so I hope you don't have to.

The only measurement that matters is the length that goes along the side of the center square. You sew a strip to the first side, then sew the next strip to the other side, lining up the seam of the little braid square with the seam between the first strip and the center square. Then just keep adding the strips. You build each side like that.

But I won't have to cut the strips since 2 1/2" is what they need to be anyway.

That is going to be spectacular. I can't wait to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    The only measurement that matters is the length that goes along the side of the center square. You sew a strip to the first side, then sew the next strip to the other side, lining up the seam of the little braid square with the seam between the first strip and the center square. Then just keep adding the strips. You build each side like that.

But I won't have to cut the strips since 2 1/2" is what they need to be anyway.
    Oh I see what you mean. So even though the center piece does have a measurement, you can still add strips of any width to that. Got it! :thumbup:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast